cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2006, 07:36 PM   #31
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Bushman's book is one source. I don't have it in front of me, so I can't give you the exact reference. IIRC he states in addition that JS enjoyed wine on occasion, not just that day.
Shouldn't be surprising. Look at the supply list for Brigham Young's wagon train in 1847. Lots of cases of whiskey. And coffee.

Also, journal records of early missionaries indicated that they would often go to a bar and put down a few shots of whiskey when a new missionary arrived. You know, to break the ice and welcome the new elder.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #32
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Shouldn't be surprising. Look at the supply list for Brigham Young's wagon train in 1847. Lots of cases of whiskey. And coffee.

Also, journal records of early missionaries indicated that they would often go to a bar and put down a few shots of whiskey when a new missionary arrived. You know, to break the ice and welcome the new elder.
Just like my mission.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #33
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Just like my mission.
I didn't know a lot of drinkers in my mission, but I did know several Elders that would avail themselves of drugs that would otherwise require prescriptions in the States. There is nothing in the WoW against Valium.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #34
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default JS enjoying a drink

Quote:
Bushman's book is one source. I don't have it in front of me, so I can't give you the exact reference. IIRC he states in addition that JS enjoyed wine on occasion, not just that day.
Funny, Brodie mentioned the same stuff, but as a "totally discredited" historian I guess she was full of it.

Reportedly JS insisted that alcohol be available for guests in the Nauvoo House hotel. Emma made him put the bar upstairs, away from their quarters.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:56 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The WoW did not go into effect until the Saints had been in Utah for 20 years. There was a revival of sorts after the emigration, in terms of practice of religion (prior to that church in Utah was mainly community and survival). This fits into the same time frame.

That early church members did not practice the WoW is no secret.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:58 PM   #36
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The WoW did not go into effect until the Saints had been in Utah for 20 years. There was a revival of sorts after the emigration, in terms of practice of religion (prior to that church in Utah was mainly community and survival). This fits into the same time frame.

That early church members did not practice the WoW is no secret.
It was not emphasized until Heber J Grant I believe in the 1930's.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:14 PM   #37
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Funny, Brodie mentioned the same stuff, but as a "totally discredited" historian I guess she was full of it.
Is this directed at me? For all I know Bushman cited Brodie as a source here. I was just answering the question someone asked re: where did you hear about JS and drinking wine?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #38
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road
Default sorry for the confusion...

Quote:
Is this directed at me? For all I know Bushman cited Brodie as a source here. I was just answering the question someone asked re: where did you hear about JS and drinking wine?
That snide remark was intended for the club who were claiming that Brodie was discredited, Mike Waters, President/CEO.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 02:44 AM   #39
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
It was not emphasized until Heber J Grant I believe in the 1930's.
The emphasis started during Brigham Young's time when it was made a binding commandment, but it did take another 50-60 years before it gradually attained the status it has today.

I remember reading about how BY had a tough time with the WOW, although he really tried his best to live it in his later years. He suffered from painful toothaches and chewing tobacco was the only thing that would alleviate the pain.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:47 PM   #40
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Porter Rockwell in his later years ran a saloon near point of the mountain, IIRC.