cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road
Default My top 10 (or so) picks for the Jazz

Let me start this off by saying that while the draft doesn't bring as much excitement this year for me as a Jazz fan, and that is a VERY good thing. I'm happy that we just finished playing last week, instead of spending the last month talking about ping pong balls and lottery and what not. The problem is now, it's harder to get up for the draft, because at 25 it really is a crap shoot. Who knows who will slip, who will be available when the Jazz pick and that makes it tough to project. So, here are my top 10 guys that I think the Jazz should pick based on fit, put in 3 groups: Guys the Jazz should try to move up and get, guys the Jazz should hope slip, and guys who should be available at 25.

Group 1: Guys to move up for
1) Greg Oden: I would say trade anybody but Deron Williams for a chance to get this kid. Oden + Williams = 5 Championships over the next 10 years. Portland wouldn't ever go for that. Which is why it won't ever happen.

2) Kevin Durrant: I would give up anybody but Boozer and Williams to get this kid, as he is going to be a star in this league. His ability to score and create on his own would be huge. He could play a big 3 alongside Boozer. But much like Oden, not likely to happen.

3) Joakim Noah: If the Jazz are even considering moving Kirilenko, Noah could be an interesting piece to add. He is very similar to AK, a motor guy who can block shots and run the floor. He has also been a true "team player" something that some have accused AK of not being. Reports are that he is coachable. He is more realistic to be had, but at what price?

4) Tiago Splitter: Tiago has been a high lottery pick the last few years, but buy-out issues have kept him out of the draft. This year, he is in no matter what. One of the best European bigs, he actually plays defense. He could be the 3rd big in our Boozer/Memo rotation as he can play the 4/5. He also may not need to come over right away, which would suit the Jazz just fine. He also could be had in the middle of the first round, meaning the Jazz would likely need to trade up for him. But it's much easier to trade from 25 to 18 than from 25 to 1. I would seriously consider trying to make a trade for him, as I don't see him slipping to 25.

Group 2: Guys to hope slip
1) Sean Williams: The best shot blocker to come along in years... he has some 'character' issues, but when picking at #25, every pick has flaws of one kind or another. Williams potential upside outweighs the negative in this case as he is EXACTLY what Utah needs as a talent on the basketball floor. An athletic big guy who can dominate the paint. If he were to slip to 25, I think Utah HAS to take him, or consider sliding up a few spots if he is available past 20.

2) Gabe Pruitt: While I love the energy that Dee Brown provides, I'm not sure that he is the answer as Deron's back-up long term. Adding a big guard like Pruitt allows the Jazz to play him and Deron together. Pruitt is VERY athletic and has pretty good range on his 3. With he and Deron together, teams would have a tougher time collapsing on Boozer.

3) Rodney Stuckey: Like Pruitt, he is a guy who can play alongside Deron Williams. While he doesn't have the range of Pruitt, Stuckey is more of a '2' than a point. Kid can score. Pairing him with Williams would give the Jazz more scoring from their backcourt, and Stuckey gets to the line. I think he has the potential to be a Cuttino Mobley type player, which if he is available at 25, you take him.

Group 3: Guys who should be available at 25
1) Rudy Fernandez: I've liked this kids game for the last few years. I hope he is available at 25, and that the Jazz pick him up. I think of him as a mix between Hornacek and Manu Ginobili. Kid has a solid outside shot, he is athletic and can get to the line and while his defense isn't his strength, its better than most Euro's. I think he'll most likely get taken before the Jazz pick, but it won't be too far ahead. If he's available I hope the Jazz take a long, hard look at him.

2) DeVon Hardin: As late as the Jazz will be drafting, athletic bigs usually aren't around. Hardin falls into this category because of a broken leg this past year at Cal. Hardin is a bit raw offensively, but he can rebound, block shots and he loved to dunk over people. If he stays in the draft, he would be a good fit alongside Memo and Boozer.

3) Morris Almond: One of the Jazz needs this year is 3 point shooting. Almond is considered one of the best 3 point shooters (and scorers) in the draft this year. Almond can also get to the line, something else the Jazz need. While his defense is suspect, he has decent size for a 2, and could play alongside Brewer who could guard the more athletic player, making his defense not as big of an issue. His ball handling is also a bit suspect, but with Deron, AK, Brewer, Fisher, etc. he likely wouldn't be asked to handle the ball much.

Other candidates: Daequan Cook, Derrick Byars, Marco Belinelli
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

It is set in stone buddy. Josh McRoberts is the Jazz pick.

They need another Borchardt type.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
It is set in stone buddy. Josh McRoberts is the Jazz pick.

They need another Borchardt type.
I am probably in the minority of Jazz fans, but I don't hate that pick. I think McRoberts could fit in nicely with the Jazz. Can he play the 5? If he could play some 5, I'd have no problem with the pick. If he's only a 4, then I think the Jazz will pass. With Memo, Boozer, Millsap, the Jazz are stacked at the 4.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:14 PM   #4
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I am probably in the minority of Jazz fans, but I don't hate that pick. I think McRoberts could fit in nicely with the Jazz. Can he play the 5? If he could play some 5, I'd have no problem with the pick. If he's only a 4, then I think the Jazz will pass. With Memo, Boozer, Millsap, the Jazz are stacked at the 4.
If you like that pick, I would ask you to remove your support for the Jazz. We already have one Duke player, we don't need another.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
If you like that pick, I would ask you to remove your support for the Jazz. We already have one Duke player, we don't need another.
I said "don't hate" which is different than "like". My only question (since I never watch Dook play) is whether or not he can play the 5. If he can play the 5, then at 25 I'm less opposed to it. If he is only a 4, I have no interest.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I said "don't hate" which is different than "like". My only question (since I never watch Dook play) is whether or not he can play the 5. If he can play the 5, then at 25 I'm less opposed to it. If he is only a 4, I have no interest.
Here is what you will get from a Duke player.

1) He will flop and he will flop a lot
2) He will have no concept of team defense whatsoever (see Carlos Boozer)
3) He will hack and foul a lot and bitch and whine when he gets called. Duke players have a really hard time adjusting to playing defense without fouling.
4) He will shoot from any place on the court at any time. He won't know how to play in a structured offense.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Any thoughts on Aaron Afflalo? I've heard his name bandied about.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Any thoughts on Aaron Afflalo? I've heard his name bandied about.
In my opinion, the Jazz need a 2 guard who can stretch the defense. That isn't Ronnie Brewer, for all that I love about the kid and his game. I'm not sure it's Aaron Affalo either, although he could be a nice defensive option alongside Brewer. I think if the Jazz look for a 2, they look for a 2 who can stretch the D.

But that's just my take.