cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 04:29 AM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Oliver Cowdery

Whatever became of Oliver Cowdery (sp?)

I know that church history portrays him as someone who ultimately fell away from the church, but never denied what he saw or the veracity of the Book of Mormon and the Joseph Smith story.

I'm just curious to know what information, if any, exists regarding the life of Oliver Cowdery and what exactly drove him away from the church.

When my wife asked me what became of Cowdery, I immediately began to wonder if his profession had anything to do with his departure from the faith. Meaning (and not in any insulting way at all), was he one of the first intellectuals in the church who looked at what he was being taught and said, "this just doesn't mesh with me intellectually."

I could be way off on that, but your thoughts and information would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:42 AM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude left the church because he called Joseph an adulterer and didn't agree with polygamy.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 AM   #3
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Dude left the church because he called Joseph an adulterer and didn't agree with polygamy.
A little more complicated than that. There seemed to be a significant power struggle with the local high council. Cowdery thought his authority was greater than theirs; the high council decided to prove otherwise.

I have never seen any evidence to suggest that Cowdery didn't believe in the main claims of Mormonism. To the contrary, he affirmed his testimony as a witness of the plates to his death, even while out of the church (which he rejoined before his death, incedentally).
Old 06-05-2007, 05:56 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Much more complicated than that. I have cited a good FARMS article on it, and it involved a high council the members of which later left the Church. Oliver failed to attend because he could see their minds were made up.

BY's brother remained friends with him until his death, and Oliver was in good standing when he died.

Church history whitewashes the whole event, but FARMS did a good job on a tragic, and probably abused figure within our history.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Much more complicated than that. I have cited a good FARMS article on it, and it involved a high council the members of which later left the Church. Oliver failed to attend because he could see their minds were made up.

BY's brother remained friends with him until his death, and Oliver was in good standing when he died.

Church history whitewashes the whole event, but FARMS did a good job on a tragic, and probably abused figure within our history.
Is it possible to get a copy of this article from you sometime?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I have some neat and hard to obtain material on Oliver Cowdery, including facsimiles of some correspondance between him and W.W. Phelps while Oliver was away from the Church. As is true of so many people in the early Church who left, official, published materials have told a very one-sided (and basically, false) story.

When I get some time, I'll put up some interesting material on brother Cowdery.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 06-05-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #7
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Is it possible to get a copy of this article from you sometime?
http://farms.byu.edu/display.php?tab...nscripts&id=50
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote