cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default Any iPod owners out there?

My wife keeps bringing it up with me. I get the impression that she is feeling the waters for Christmas present ideas.

I just don't see myself wanting or using one. When would I use it?

I have a radio in the car.

I have an office job where I interact with people much of the day.

I often work out with other people.

Don't really feel comfortable wearing headphone when out riding my bike. It's kind of nice to hear the rednecks sneaking up behind you in their Chev truck before they spit at you or huck a bottle your way.

Could potentially wear one out running I suppose.

So am I missing something here? What is the redeeming value of an iPod? Would an MP3 player do just as well, or is it nice to have 1000 songs loaded instead of 150?
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:39 PM   #2
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ....

ill tell you my situation.

i have an ipod and an mp3 player.

the ipod has like a billion songs downloaded onto it.

the mp3 player has a bunch of workout mixes i have that are different songs that combined are around an hour long.

i use the ipod only on road trips. and use my mp3 player every single day.

ipods are cool, but are only cool because they are the cool thing to have right now. they are great for road trips as you dont have extra clutter in the form of case logics laying on the floor, but other than that i dont see why anyone would ever buy an ipod over an mp3 player.

id go mp3 player every day all day. they are weightless, easy to handle, are easily $150 bucks cheaper, you dont have to fight anyone to find one and a gig is plenty of space to store music. seriously if you get a gig youll have more than enough space.

like i said ipods are just the cool thing to have.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ipods and mp3 players are pretty much the same thing

It's really a matter of memory and user interface, both with the player and on your computer.

Ipods are very cool, look good, are easy to use, but are expensive and leave you stuck with itunes and its attendant drawbacks.

Mp3 players vary a great deal. My youngest son has a 1 gig creative nano, which he loves. It is tiny, has an FM tunre (ipods don't) and has line in capabilities.

My middle (13yo) has a creative zen mp3. It is 5 gigs, which is plenty for most rational people, also has radio and line in, and includes a vocie recorder (you know, "memo to self" sort of thing). ALso very cool and you can get some great deals right now.

My 17 yo has an ipod nano, 4 Gb model. It is very cool and looks good, and the interface is great. It was expensive, the battery life is not all that Apple claims, and the batteries are hard and expensive ot replace when they eventually wear out.

I have yet to buy one, but I am leaning towards something with 20-40 gigs, b/c I want to put most of my CD collection on it as well as the occasional book on tape and the BoM on tape. I iwl probably not get an Apple, but I am thinking about the new ones with video capacity becasue they are cool.

Iow, there is no right answer. It all depends on what you want to do. You should go down to your local Fry's (or equivalent) and check them out in person., Then go home to the PC, look up Cnet and shop for a good price.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ipods and mp3 players are pretty much the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
I have yet to buy one, but I am leaning towards something with 20-40 gigs, b/c I want to put most of my CD collection on it as well as the occasional book on tape and the BoM on tape. I iwl probably not get an Apple, but I am thinking about the new ones with video capacity becasue they are cool.
That's the key for me. I want one to put all of my cd's on. It would be great to have them all in one spot. My brothers that have them bought them for that reason. They rave about being able to take a 12 hour road trip and never hear a song that you don't like. I think it'd be nice to have on the bike too, but I'd probably ruin it with sweat.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #5
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat
Default I bought my iPod the night before a trip to India

It is GREAT for long plane flights, or road trips in the car. Also, if you have a long commute to work it is a nice changeup from radio.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:09 AM   #6
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall
Default I have the 20GB model

Its very nice and I use it often. The interface is great and itunes is the tops.

However, if you don't want one and don't think that you'll use one I don't think that you should force yourself into getting one(or in this case giving the ok for being given one).

FYI: http://www.apple.com/ipod/
realtall is offline   Reply With Quote