cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just received a new Book

The Case against Q by Mark Goodacre.

It looks fascinating. Hope the information is quality.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #2
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Have you seen his websites?

Case Against Q: http://ntgateway.com/Q/
Blog: http://www.ntgateway.com/weblog/

I read his blog sometimes.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #3
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The Case against Q by Mark Goodacre.

It looks fascinating. Hope the information is quality.
Arch, I haven't read the book, but from my reading of his other stuff I think I understand his basic claim. He is not suggesting a sayings source couldn't or probably didn't exist; he is arguing that we don't need to hypothesize a saying source because in his view Luke is dependent on both Matthew and Mark and where most scholars would say "Q" is the source for Luke, Goodacre would argue for Matthew.

Graphically, we might depict the traditional hypothesis of Markan Priority and the existence of Q as the following:

Goodacre still relies on Markan Priority, but rejects Q. Here is how I would graphical represent his idea:

Note, L refers to sources unique to Luke and M to sources unique to Matthew.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-09-2007 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Arch, I haven't read the book, but from my reading of his other stuff I think I understand his basic claim. He is not suggesting a sayings source couldn't or probably didn't exist; he is arguing that we don't need to hypothesize a saying source because in his view Luke is dependent on both Matthew and Mark and where most scholars would say "Q" is the source for Luke, Goodacre would argue for Matthew.

Graphically, we might depict the traditional hypothesis of Markan Priority and the existence of Q as the following:

Goodacre still relies on Markan Priority, but rejects Q. He is how I would graphical represent his idea.

Note, L refers to sources unique to Luke and M to sources unique to Matthew.
My initial glancing at it suggests your surmise is correct. It is fascinating.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
My initial glancing at it suggests your surmise is correct. It is fascinating.
Per Indy this is all a waste of time. You should accept what the LDS Church puts in front of you at face value, just like Savonarola said about his Book. I bet Indy laments the First Amendment. He'd like a return to the old times, but with a new Church running things.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Per Indy this is all a waste of time. You should accept what the LDS Church puts in front of you at face value, just like Savonarola said about his Book. I bet Indy laments the First Amendment. He'd like a return to the old times, but with a new Church running things.
Listen up Indy, I'm going to defend you, it may never happen again.

I think, SU, that you are oversimplifying our pal Indy's approach. I think that what he believes, for himself, is that since he has already accepted these things on faith that there is no value in further examination. That is a legitimate approach and perfectly fine for him. What is not fine is failing to reconize that there are other legitimate approaches and that others may find value in the pursuit of further knowledge though he may not. This is something Rocky clearly does not get. I don't think Indy as as far out on that limb.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Listen up Indy, I'm going to defend you, it may never happen again.

I think, SU, that you are oversimplifying our pal Indy's approach. I think that what he believes, for himself, is that since he has already accepted these things on faith that there is no value in further examination. That is a legitimate approach and perfectly fine for him. What is not fine is failing to reconize that there are other legitimate approaches and that others may find value in the pursuit of further knowledge though he may not. This is something Rocky clearly does not get. I don't think Indy as as far out on that limb.
That's a very weak defense. I'd call it a mixed bag; damning with faint praise.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-09-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Archaea

I believe Seattle is oversimplifying Indy's position. Whether Indy disagrees that others may pursue knowledge than the method which you described is Indy's is the question I have.

I understand some may accept something on faith and never reexamine. If that method works for that person, great.

Does Indy find it a waste of time for others to constantly rething things? Rocky doesn't care and won't grasp it, but Indy may.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
SeattleUte

But my essential point was not so much to attack Indy's approach to LDS faith here, but to put a mirror in front of him and show he's the same as those Medieval Catholics he condemns. He just doesn't have resort to the power of the state which would (inevitably) corrupt him absolutely, as it does anyone who has decided there's no point in looking any further than the Book.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-09-2007, 08:04 PM   #10
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
That's a very weak defense. I'd call it a mixed bag; damning with faint praise.
SU, were not really going to make a thread that started out about "Markan Priority without Q" into a probe about Indy's hermeneutical approach to the Scriptures? I would really rather talk about Q. I mean really don't you think that is a waste of my fine graphs?