cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Everytime there's an HC violation at BYU

The hard ass gospel reaction on CB makes me ashamed to admit I belong to the same church as these people.

I feel the same way half the time after leaving Gospel Doctrine.

I think if leaving the Mormon church wasn't such a dramatic political and social issue (especially in Utah County) and if there were options to attend a Christian church with the same social benefits, that I might drop out of the church for a while. Then again I don't know for sure if I would find what I want there.

I'll never stop believing the doctrine, but the culture (not the jello salad culture but specifically the justice-loving, vengeful, unforgiving, works based, hard ass culture) makes me crazy sometimes.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
The hard ass gospel reaction on CB makes me ashamed to admit I belong to the same church as these people.

I think if leaving the Mormon church wasn't such a dramatic political and social issue (especially in Utah County) and if there were options to attend a Christian church with the same social benefits, that I might drop out of the church for a while. Then again I don't know for sure if I would find what I want there.

I'll never stop believing the doctrine, but the culture (not the jello salad culture but specifically the justice-loving, vengeful, unforgiving, works based, hard ass culture) makes me crazy sometimes.
Care to elaborate? It appears most folks are upset by the DUI. I think a hard ass reaction to DUI is appropriate.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Care to elaborate? It appears most folks are upset by the DUI. I think a hard ass reaction to DUI is appropriate.
I know I usually overreact, but there was a reply to a comment that WoW is a difficult commandment to keep by quoting D&C saying that the WoW is easy because it's directed to the least of the saints. There were a few other comments that made me bristle. I may be having flashbacks at some of the comments after the last gangbang episode.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It sounds like deep down inside you, there is a Ute fan trying to get out.

Let it happen brother - you're amongst friends.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It sounds like deep down inside you, there is a Ute fan trying to get out.

Let it happen brother - you're amongst friends.
So wanting to leave church culture makes me a Ute fan? Interesting.

We're getting too deep into Jay Santos psychology here, but though I complain about the church culture sometimes, I could/would not ever not leave it. It would be like divorcing myself from my parents and siblings.

So I'll do my best to affect change from within.

This sets me up for the SU theory that there are thousands of nonbelieving LDS out there forced to keep their thoughts to themself and stay in the church due to social ramifications. But I have no misgivings about the underlying doctrine and beliefs of the church--just the people in it.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I symapthize with this post. And before I spent 8 years outside of Utah I sympatized even more. Then I spent time around a bunch of Christians in Alabama. Yikes! I knew I had met the enemy. Then I have spent 2 years in California among the heathen. Yikesier!!! I really know that the group I grew up around was best for me.

That is not to say that there are not crazy, vengeful, hateful, scabrous souled people among them and in fact, at times they seem to be the majority. But there are enough diamonds amidst the douches to keep me satisfied.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So wanting to leave church culture makes me a Ute fan? Interesting.

We're getting too deep into Jay Santos psychology here, but though I complain about the church culture sometimes, I could/would not ever not leave it. It would be like divorcing myself from my parents and siblings.

So I'll do my best to affect change from within.

This sets me up for the SU theory that there are thousands of nonbelieving LDS out there forced to keep their thoughts to themself and stay in the church due to social ramifications. But I have no misgivings about the underlying doctrine and beliefs of the church--just the people in it.

I believe SU is sad that he left the Church, but doesn't have the courage to admit that he was wrong. For a non-believer, he sure talks a lot about the Church rather than just moving on.

The LDS culture is annoying and like you, I have no misgivings about the doctrine and beliefs. That's one of the reasons that bout the only interaction I have with members of my ward is for 3 hours on Sundays.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 01-08-2007 at 05:18 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I believe SU is sad that he left the Church, but doesn't have the courage to admit that he was wrong. For a non-believer, he sure talks a lot about the Church rather than just moving on.

The LDS culture is annoying and like you, I have no misgivings about the doctrine and beliefs. That's one of the reasons that bout the only interaction I have with members of my ward is for 3 hours on Sundays.

Who says in attending on Sundays, you must interact with them. You could be quiet and ignore them, making them believe you're arrogant and aloof, thereby making them more disinterested in you.