cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2006, 10:59 PM   #1
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road
Default Temple marriage waiting period.

Does anyone know the reason for the waiting period between civil marriages and temple sealings? If I recall correctly, if a couple gets married in a civil ceremony, they must wait a year before being sealed. It is my understanding that is the case even if they are both worthy temple recommend holders.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

I think it is frankly as a deterrent to people getting married outside of the temple first, in an effort to preserve the sanctity of the temple sealing.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:01 AM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Does anyone know the reason for the waiting period between civil marriages and temple sealings? If I recall correctly, if a couple gets married in a civil ceremony, they must wait a year before being sealed. It is my understanding that is the case even if they are both worthy temple recommend holders.
If a couple is getting married in a civil ceremony as opposed to a temple ceremony then it's probably because they can't get married in the temple...so they'd have to wait a year either way anyway.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:38 AM   #4
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I think it is frankly as a deterrent to people getting married outside of the temple first, in an effort to preserve the sanctity of the temple sealing.
I thought maybe there was something else to the one year thing. It seems like converts have to wait one year after baptism also. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about preserving the sanctity of the temple sealing. Please expound.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
BlueHair

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
If a couple is getting married in a civil ceremony as opposed to a temple ceremony then it's probably because they can't get married in the temple...so they'd have to wait a year either way anyway.
That's probably true for the most part. Is this a hard rule or something that can be overruled by the Bishop/Stake President? What about members that live where there isn't a temple and are unable to reach one. Then, for some unforeseen reason they are able to before the year is up. I know it's somewhat far-fetched, but I'm sure with the millions of members, this has come up at least a couple of times.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
That's probably true for the most part. Is this a hard rule or something that can be overruled by the Bishop/Stake President? What about members that live where there isn't a temple and are unable to reach one. Then, for some unforeseen reason they are able to before the year is up. I know it's somewhat far-fetched, but I'm sure with the millions of members, this has come up at least a couple of times.
The 1 year rule is pretty much across the board.

Of course this is now where someone posts claiming to have known somebody who didn't...etc..etc..etc....
Old 12-25-2006, 07:00 AM   #7
BlueHair

Quote:

Of course this is now where someone posts claiming to have known somebody who didn't...etc..etc..etc....
LOL! It's like how everybody knows somebody that would have died if they would have been wearing their seatbelt in a car accident.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug

There actualy IS an exception to this rule, and it's in the handbook. If someone is a convert and gets married civilly while waiting their year to go to the temple, they can get sealed in the temple as soon as the year from baptism is up. They do not have to wait a full year from the civil marriage.

That is one exception I know of. There may be others.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

There is another exception besides FM's. If you live more than a day's travel from a temple there is no waiting period between civil and temple.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:24 PM   #10
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Also some US states and foreign countries do not recognize the temple ordinance as a legitimate marital union. Couples get married civily to appease the state.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote