cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jews that become Mormons

One of my friends' father was born a Jew and converted to Mormonism. I hadn't really heard of such a thing, I asked him if it was a big deal for his dad to do so. His reply was "no, not really."

This past Sunday, one of our missionaries gave a talk. He said that his father was Jewish and converted to Mormonism.

And now on cougarboard, someone says that his grandfather or father was Jewish convert.

It's an interesting trade. Jewish culture/beliefs for Mormon culture/beliefs. Of course, someone like SU, would recoil in horror at the imbalance. Maybe in some ways, we are not so far apart. We are Jews that actually believe. And actually want people to join with us.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:05 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I just thought of this: does anyone know a person that went from Mormonism to Judaism? That would be interesting.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
One of my friends' father was born a Jew and converted to Mormonism. I hadn't really heard of such a thing, I asked him if it was a big deal for his dad to do so. His reply was "no, not really."

This past Sunday, one of our missionaries gave a talk. He said that his father was Jewish and converted to Mormonism.

And now on cougarboard, someone says that his grandfather or father was Jewish convert.

It's an interesting trade. Jewish culture/beliefs for Mormon culture/beliefs. Of course, someone like SU, would recoil in horror at the imbalance. Maybe in some ways, we are not so far apart. We are Jews that actually believe. And actually want people to join with us.
There are all kinds of Jews just like all kinds of Catholics or Muslims. I'd have to know the specifics of each circumstance before I were amazed. Jews have converted to just about every Christian faith you can think of, but it's rare, anecdotal really. Apparently George Allen's mother became an Evangelical Christian. Jews of course have a special place in our culture because they invented monotheism and but for them there would be no Christianity. (However, as you know, I think that other inputs to Christianity are undereestimated at least by Mormons and Protestants.) Jews also have taken like a fish to water to Western Civilization, producing hugely disproportionate numbers of university professors, Nobel laureats, movie directors, distinguished novelists, business moguls, surgeons, composers, artists, choreographers, just about every elite occupation you can think of. In addition to being horribly persecuted they have thrived temendously in a culture forged and dominated by Christians for centuries.

The Mormon and Evangelical affinity for Judaism is interesting. I have seen that come up with an anecdotal example of one Jew converting to Mormonism, or even a Jew saying something nice about Mormons, and to Mormons this is the coolest thing they ever heard. The reason for this is partly that Jews as a people are so estimable. Largely though I think it goes back to the Mormon and Protestant affinity for the Hebreic branch of Christianity (as opposed to Hellenistic or Greco branch introduced by Paul, which is the reason Christianity took off). Enough on this; it could fill a book, as Harold Bloom has shown.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Do Utah Mormons feel persecuted? I recall feeling persecuted and made-fun-of because of my religion while growing up.

Maybe Mormons in Utah have lost the institutional memory of persecution.

That's one thing Mormons have in common with Jews. Tribalism. But the Mormon Tribe invites people in and the Jewish tribe does not.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:20 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I just thought of this: does anyone know a person that went from Mormonism to Judaism? That would be interesting.
Judaism is not very hospitable to converts. It would likely only happen if a Mormon male married a Jewish woman, since membership in Judaism proceeds through the mother.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:23 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Do Utah Mormons feel persecuted?
Do you not pay attention to what happens on the internet when BYU fans feel that one of their supreme athletes is snubbed by some pinhead in the media?

Do you not see the outcry from BYU fans about poor officiating? Or active LDS Ute fans pointing out the obvious persecution of a certain MWC officiating crew, obviously in cahoots with BYU?

I fear what will happen if Trent Plaisted isn't the overall #1 pick in the '08 draft.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Maybe Mormons in Utah have lost the institutional memory of persecution.
I don't think so. Why do you see innumerable posts on Cougarboard about the lack of respect that the Cougars and Jazz receive from the Gentile media?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:39 PM   #8
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

I didn't see that Il Padrino already beat me to the punch.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I didn't see that Il Padrino already beat me to the punch.
Yes, but you pointed out what I failed to mention - Jazz fans.

Not that I'm bitter, but Dick Bavetta blew that call on Eisley's 3 pt. shot and MJ pushed off, dammit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:06 AM   #10
Dan

Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My sister in law was a Mormon ...

... who became a Jew. In her case she was a party girl, live with her boyfriend (two different ones at different times) type. Then she started thinking about religion when her sister (my wife) had a child. Her two live in boyfriends were Jewish, so she convinced herself that it was a sign (the first boyfriend was to prepare her to get accustomed to Judaism) that she needed to marry the second one and convert. Not what I would call a spiritual conversion and I still get the sense that it is a status thing for them.

Temet Nosce - \"Know Thyself\"
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote