cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm looking for an SUV

I hate my Toyota Camry. It's a sensible family car with good gas mileage but I am young and single and want to feel manly. I want an SUV.

Camrys get great ratings but mine is a lemon. I can't believe how many faults it has had for only 68,000 miles. I could have sat on the toilet after dinner and given birth to a product of equal value.

On to SUV's:

The Honda CR-V gets the best ratings but it is such a soccer mom car.

I have my eye on the Nissan X-Terra but it doesn't rate out as high as other Nissans.

Any good/bad experience with SUV's, fellas?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I hate my Toyota Camry. It's a sensible family car with good gas mileage but I am young and single and want to feel manly. I want an SUV.

Camrys get great ratings but mine is a lemon. I can't believe how many faults it has had for only 68,000 miles. I could have sat on the toilet after dinner and given birth to a product of equal value.

On to SUV's:

I have my eye on the Nissan X-Terra but it doesn't rate out as high as other Nissans.

We have mercury mariner and its the best car i have ever owned
Old 11-17-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Personally, I want an Infiniti FX, but I don't know if it's technically an SUV. Probably too girly for you.

I know a guy with a 4Runner. He's young and single, etc. Been pretty happy with that, I think. Reliability should be good.

You want a smallish or largish SUV? In-town or off-road?
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt I'll ever off-road, and from what I gather SUV's are rarely made for it anyway.

Is the Honda CR-V really an SUV? In a size comparison, when I see them in traffic amongst other SUV's, it essentially looks like an Accord with a 10" clearance.

I want good size but nothing like a Tahoe.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I like my Land Rover better than my Landcruiser, but I prefer my Ferrari to both of them.

How about the FJ Cruiser? That might be just the ticket for a single guy who wants a sporty image.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Is the Honda CR-V really an SUV? In a size comparison, when I see them in traffic amongst other SUV's, it essentially looks like an Accord with a 10" clearance.
That depends on what you mean by "really an SUV." There are car-based SUVs and truck-based SUVs.

I'm pretty sure the CRV is built on the frame of a civic. That's what the "C" stands for.

Keep in mind I'm a girl talking about cars here: I rarely know what I'm talking about but always offer answers nonetheless...
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:30 PM   #7
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Give a little more info on what kind of SUV you are looking for, in regards to pricing and what you want it to do. Here are two terrific SUVs:

Honda Pilot--Good reliability, nicely built and has a third row. Not the most beautiful looking SUV...I guess, I should say that it looks like a regular SUV. But it handles well. Priced around $25,000 new but could drop a little or go up depending on what you include.

Acura MDX--this is the step up model for Honda of the Pilot. Very nice all around, has a third row. Terrific car. New it would cost you around $45,000...but you can get a used one with around 50K miles for under $25,000.

anyway, just some thoughts.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:12 PM   #8
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:

On to SUV's:

Contact Bucko on Cougarboard. He's got an Xterra that he's trying to sell. I've been in it a few times and it's very nice. He took very good care of it.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

SUV's are just modern day station wagons. They've become chick cars. What you need is a truck. It's the last bastion of manhood. Then you can be like me, driving around feeling manly and spending 70 bucks a week to keep it full of gas.

Of all the womanly rigs that have been suggested so far, I'd go with the Xterra.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking at the Acura MDX, the MB GL450 or R500. If my brother has his way, I might go with the Cayenne.

But the MDX looks to be the best buy, most horsepower for lowest amount, plus they have some cool bike and ski packages.