cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 05:37 AM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lost theory

I'm beginning to think that everyone on that plane has killed somebody. The episode where (in my opinion) Sun hucks her lover from the building got me thinking along these lines. Tonight, when Henry Gale said that "we're not killers" I started to think the theory might be correct.

I missed a few episodes last year so I might be wrong on some of these but here is my list of Killers:

Sawyer
Kate (can't remember for sure, seems someone died in the robbery)
Puerto Rican cop chick
Jin
Sun (my opinion re: bald dude)
Echo
Locke (Did he kill the cop in the forest?)
Michael (yeah, it was after he got to the island)
Sayid (likely)
Jack (Did he kill his father?)

Am I missing anyone?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 06:19 AM   #2
Tim

Tim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tim Send a message via MSN to Tim

How does that explain the strange environment of the island? At least, how does it fit in with the environment of the island? Are you more inclined to believe that their arrival on the island was really an accident, or do you think it is some kind of controlled situation in which they have been placed?

Tim
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'm beginning to think that everyone on that plane has killed somebody. The episode where (in my opinion) Sun hucks her lover from the building got me thinking along these lines. Tonight, when Henry Gale said that "we're not killers" I started to think the theory might be correct.

I missed a few episodes last year so I might be wrong on some of these but here is my list of Killers:

Sawyer
Kate (can't remember for sure, seems someone died in the robbery)
Puerto Rican cop chick
Jin
Sun (my opinion re: bald dude)
Echo
Locke (Did he kill the cop in the forest?)
Michael (yeah, it was after he got to the island)
Sayid (likely)
Jack (Did he kill his father?)

Am I missing anyone?

The plane crash was a random event, due to the pilot getting lost and being right over the island at the time of Desmond's not entering the numbers and subsequent magnetic explosion.

Any plot involving some intentional, manipulation of the Losties to get on the plane and crash on the island is extremely implausible and I would immediately give up on the show.

Fate is a theme. Some sort of supernatural powers are a theme. Coincidence and randomness is a theme. Wide spread, ridiculously lucky and convenient conspiracy theory just doesn't do it for me.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

umm, something implausible would cause you to give up the show? and you are still watching?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #5
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
How does that explain the strange environment of the island? At least, how does it fit in with the environment of the island? Are you more inclined to believe that their arrival on the island was really an accident, or do you think it is some kind of controlled situation in which they have been placed?

Tim
No clue. But you have to admit, that's a hell of a lot of killers on one flight.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
jay santos

P.S. Sun did NOT kill her lover, and I'm going to go nuts hearing that theory over and over.

1. The lover dude had an enormous guilt and brought shame to himself and his family.
2. Asian culture dictates when you shame your family like that you do what you have to do to make it right.
3. Jin left him very little options to have a normal life--leave the country, change your name, and never make contact with any family or friends.
4. Lover dude is holding onto the necklace--obvious reference to his state of mind when Jin left him.

Occam's razor = dude jumped out of his window

Occam's razor does not equal Sun sneaks in his room, knowing her hubby couldn't finish the job, watches the whole thing, overpowers dude and throws him out the window or pays someone else to do such
Old 10-26-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
SteelBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Occam's razor = dude jumped out of his window

Occam's razor does not equal Sun sneaks in his room, knowing her hubby couldn't finish the job, watches the whole thing, overpowers dude and throws him out the window or pays someone else to do such
Occam's razor doesn't work on TV dramas Santos. They'd get awfully boring.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #8
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
umm, something implausible would cause you to give up the show? and you are still watching?
LOL, nice.

Implausible is relative. Fate and coincidence and randomness and a little bit of supernatural I can handle. A conspiracy theory involving someone manipulating each of the Losties to get on the same plane, have the plane go 1,000 miles off course (pilot can't be in on conspiracy unless he's got a kamikaze faith in the conpsiracy plan), have the plane crash due to EMP magnet whatever, have the Losties survive the plane crash (is it common for people to survive air plane crash?), all for the sake of someone to do psychological mind games on them once they get there? NO. I would be pissed at that.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Occam's razor doesn't work on TV dramas Santos. They'd get awfully boring.
Good point. But so far Occam's razor really has applied not too badly on this show.

We see polar bears and a shark in the ocean with Dharma symbol. Then we get a reasonable explanation.

Plane crash over crazy island seems too coincidental. We get a reasonable explanation.

and so forth.

I still think the answers for this show are going to be the most obvious, likely answers, though they may not be apparent now.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:24 PM   #10
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't get this whole moral superiority the Others seem to have. They have killed people, they have been ruthless. That guy Goodwin also told Ana Lucia something to the effect of how they were the 'good ones'.

There's several people on your list who did not directly kill anyone (that we know of). Perhaps they feel some sort of responsibility in the death, like Jack and his father, and Kate and her ex-boyfriend.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote