cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ride around Crater Lake oregon?

ANyuone ever done this? Curious what the road is like (wide shoulders, traffice, etc.) and if there is anythign I should definitely know beofre taking this ride.

We re going to the Ashland Shakespeare festivcal in the future and that looked like a do-able day trip.

TIA.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #2
DirtyHippieUTE

DirtyHippieUTE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
We re going to the Ashland Shakespeare festivcal in the future and that looked like a do-able day trip.
Shakespeare festival? Well... At least you wont be the only man in tights.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHippieUTE
Shakespeare festival? Well... At least you wont be the only man in tights.
True, but my butt and calves will probably be the largest ones there.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up in Ashland. You'll love it there. The Crater Lake ride would be a safe one imo.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:45 AM   #5
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

I've driven the loop. It is an amazing drive and the scenery will be top notch. But as I recall, the roads were fairly narrow with minimal shoulder. I believe they were in good shape, just narrow. Not much traffic when I was there (mid July, mid-day).

That's a ride I've been trying to do for a couple of years now. What time of year are you planning on going? Its fairly high elevation and is not open for very long throughout the year due to snow, so that is definitely something to consider.

A pre-dawn sunrise hike up to the top of Mt. Scott on the southeast rim of the lake is also a popular side trip for a lot of folks. Taking the boat out to Angel Island (I think that is the name) is also a nice trip, just so long as the steep trail down to the waters edge is melted. Or if you are a real man, you can swim out there like Steelblue.

Sounds like a blast though. Hope to hear a report.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose
I've driven the loop. It is an amazing drive and the scenery will be top notch. But as I recall, the roads were fairly narrow with minimal shoulder. I believe they were in good shape, just narrow. Not much traffic when I was there (mid July, mid-day).

That's a ride I've been trying to do for a couple of years now. What time of year are you planning on going? Its fairly high elevation and is not open for very long throughout the year due to snow, so that is definitely something to consider.

A pre-dawn sunrise hike up to the top of Mt. Scott on the southeast rim of the lake is also a popular side trip for a lot of folks. Taking the boat out to Angel Island (I think that is the name) is also a nice trip, just so long as the steep trail down to the waters edge is melted. Or if you are a real man, you can swim out there like Steelblue.

Sounds like a blast though. Hope to hear a report.
Not sure when we will go; my schedule just opened up a bit so we may try to sneak away in a couple of weeks, or it may wait until next year. I will let you know if we do the ride and will report.

Thanks for the input. We'll be on the tandem which should be safe becasue given my gain in girth this year due to no riding to speak of I will need to wear a yellow "wide load" sign.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose

It's Wizard Island. Also, I'm not sure if you can call what I did "swimming". But I was in there for at least a minute.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote