cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2006, 07:13 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Horror-ish film

I have two:

1) Sixth Sense -- just because it had the best twist of any movie I have ever seen.

2) The Ring (American version) -- there was just something existentially terrifying about this movie. The Japanese version explains too much. The American version leaves a lot of loose ends that makes it even more disturbing.

I admit to not having seen too many Horror films. I am no connosieur.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:25 PM   #2
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a big fan of the horror genre, but there are some great films:

Psycho (obvious, but necessary)

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (I love to do a "red scare" read on this film)

Cabinet des Caligari (A first rate silent-era horror film)

Diabolique (A first rate French thriller with lots of suspense and a missing body)

Yeux sans visage (Another superb French horror from the 60s starring pierre brasseur as a doctor who abducts and disfigures women)

The Shining (Something about the 70s to early 80s really contributed to some great horror films. It's been speculated that it was Vietnam and post-vietnam malaise.)
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:26 PM   #3
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

There are two recent ones that are terrific:

28 days--I loved, LOVED, the first 80 minutes of this film. It is scary, creepy, intense...I did not like the last 25 minutes or so. That was a big letdown, but overall, well done.

Dawn of the Dead--this is the remake and it was surprisingly very good. Entertaining and scary. The opening first few minutes is very creepy.

Though not a true horror movie, Shawn of the Dead is GREAT. It is fantastic...very funny and entertaining and is terrific.

Alien and Aliens are both very good, with the later being the better.

The Scream trilogy is actually pretty good. The first one was very good, the second one was average and the third one was good.

The Shining is a classic and it just keeps building up. Misery is much the same though the Shining is better.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

the Sixth Sense was just a very well done story/movie.. i love that flick

the Ring creeped me out, but i liked it.
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Poltergeist scared the hell out of me as a young person.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I have two:

1) Sixth Sense -- just because it had the best twist of any movie I have ever seen.

2) The Ring (American version) -- there was just something existentially terrifying about this movie. The Japanese version explains too much. The American version leaves a lot of loose ends that makes it even more disturbing.

I admit to not having seen too many Horror films. I am no connosieur.
Horror is a genre I've never gotten into. We used to watch Freddy and Friday the 13th as a teenager for the comedy element.

The Ring scared the crud out of me.

Blair Witch I had to watch just because of the buzz. I thought ho-hum through the whole thing. Then it all changed the last scene. Some final scenes are so good they make the entire movie. The first 1:59 I thought this is lame. Then a scene lasting 15 seconds and I say, "damn that was an awesome movie."

Vertigo and Psycho both had scenes like that.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:50 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

You mean other than Steel Magnolias, right?

The Exorcist terrified me as a 15 year old. To this day, I have no desire to see it again.

One that friends and I rented for what we thought would be a good laugh that ended up being surprisingly good was "Pumpkinhead". Not scary, really, but a few moments of "dang, what's going to happen?"

The Changling was great.

The Omen.

As a youngster, when I was about 11 or so, I remember thinking Watcher in the Woods was pretty scary. But then, maybe that was more Bette Davis than the movie.

Ghost Story - I really liked this one, but I never thought I'd see a movie in which Fred Astaire didn't dance.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:59 AM   #8
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

The original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis (back when her boobs were just a gleam in some plastic surgeon's eye) is the Godfather of all creepy movies. Whoever scored the theme on that movie is a genius.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 05:58 AM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
The original Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis (back when her boobs were just a gleam in some plastic surgeon's eye) is the Godfather of all creepy movies. Whoever scored the theme on that movie is a genius.
I believe John Carpenter himself wrote the score. I agree, it is the ultimate creepy music.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:02 AM   #10
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute
I believe John Carpenter himself wrote the score. I agree, it is the ultimate creepy music.
An interesting bit of trivia about the movie. I saw an interview with John Carpenter, and he said the mask that Michael Meyers wears was molded from a William Shatner halloween mask. That might be why it's so creepy.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote