cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Miami Vice...

Maybe its just me, but the new movie 'Miami Vice' looks freakin' rad! (sorry, I had to use 80s lingo). Seriously, it looks dark (I guess it had to be with Mann directing) and it looks very good. Miami Vice was rather dark for its day even though everyone wore pastels, but Mann seems to have truly updated this version of it. Look forward to it.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

NBC showed the pilot episode of the Miami Vice tv show last weekend. I remember watching it 20 years ago - still a good show these many years later.

The movie looks good as well.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

It looks great, I can't wait for the movie.

The movies I can't wait to see:

a. Talladega Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

b. Miami Vice
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #4
livecoug

livecoug is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/miami_vice/

82%.. i expect it to drop a little bit, but those are good numbers! i'm kinda shocked!
livecoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
UteStar

I am actually not shocked that it is getting good reviews. You have two stars in Farrel and Foxx along with a top notch director in Mann. Mann was smart to take the Miami Vice concept that he worked on 20 years ago and just darken it for today's audience. He could have gone campy on it, but that would have been a disaster. I guess we'll see just how good it is.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:11 AM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
It looks great, I can't wait for the movie.

The movies I can't wait to see:

a. Talladega Nights, The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

b. Miami Vice
Dude, I can't wait for Talladega Nights. If it's anything like Anchorman, the Legend of Ron Burgandy, I'll be laughing my butt off.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Has anybody seen Vice? I'm usually one who would rather wait 6 months and spend the $15 that I'd spend for 2 tickets to just get the DVD so if I like it I can watch it over and over (and I usually do watch a movie at night to fall asleep). Although there are some movies that you just have to see in the theatre...

so, who has seen Vice yet? Good? A must see in the theatre? To me it looks a little like Bad Boys, which were pretty solid for what they were, not a whole lot of plot, just the action. Not sure if that is a must see in the theatre, or if it's a just wait and buy the DVD.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 06:59 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Good, not great.

The love interest part of story doesn't click for me. Could have been better edited but I enjoyed the series so it was fun for a change.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
UteStar

I saw it and I tend to agree with Archaea. It was a good movie and I enjoyed it though it was not a great flick. There were a couple of things that I liked quite a bit of the show: Digital film is interesting. As you know, it leads to a grainier, more real like visual. It is impressive. I am glad most movies don't do it, but I like it for some movies (another Michael Mann movie 'Collateral' used digital film). I loved the sound of the movie...the gun fights were terrific as it felt like you were right there with the sound of the gun going off (close and further away) and the sound of it hitting cars, dirt, tires is very cool.

It is not much of an action film to be honest. Good action toward the end and a little in the beginning and the middle. I would have liked to have seen a little more of the relationship between Tubbs and Crockett but there was just little of that probably because Mann decided we would know enough about their relationship before the movie began from the tv series.

Anyway, I liked it but I wish it could have been a little more. Colin Farrel was terrific...Foxx was pretty good as well.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Just saw it. I think it's only Miami Vice in name. Doesn't really harken back to the original series.

Am I the only one who thought it came across as a long commercial for satellite phones? Gotta get me one.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote