cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mark Sanford

He quoted 1 Corinthians 13 to his Argentinian lover.

http://www.thestate.com/sanford/story/839350.html

Is there anything more entertaining than a saved Bible thumper in the throes of passionate hypocrisy?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

These were my thoughts exactly when I read your smug, cynical, schadenfreude-filled, and uncharitable post:

http://www.slate.com/id/2221255/
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12

Last edited by Levin; 06-25-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Please. The guy lied, lied, and lied some more. His mea culpa was only because he knew a paper was about to publish those emails. He betrayed the trust of his constituents.

He is another selb absorbed meglomaniac who thought he could do anything he wanted.

His press conference was an attempt to HOLD onto power.

As to his salvation, I'm sure none of this matters, because he is saved.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Levin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Please. The guy lied, lied, and lied some more. His mea culpa was only because he knew a paper was about to publish those emails. He betrayed the trust of his constituents.

He is another selb absorbed meglomaniac who thought he could do anything he wanted.

His press conference was an attempt to HOLD onto power.

As to his salvation, I'm sure none of this matters, because he is saved.
All of your statements here -- except for the last -- are undoubtedly true. But I still find the general glee and finding it entertaining distasteful.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Old 06-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

That's because you are dumb enough to view these people as selfless public servants.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Why does any of this matter any more? We should not look to our political leaders for moral guidance, probably should view all of them with disdain. That anybody should feel a need to apologize publicly is ridiculous. If he used taxpayer money, then it should be reimbursed.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Levin

Quote:
That's because you are dumb enough to view these people as selfless public servants.
No, it's because you're too dumb to get the argument. A life based on criticism, cynicism, and a lack of charity will make you dumb like that.

I'm not viewing Sanford as a public servant at all at the moment, but as a human being who is undergoing some serious suffering. So he brought it on himself -- so do we all, especially you who apparently enjoys even faux and dramatic suffering.

And yes, I'm sad the ideal of the virtuous public servant has taken another hit. A democracy requires that ideal to be healthy. They all can't be Washington or Lincoln, but heaven help us if we don't believe some of them can be.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

This man was touted by some as a possible leader of the free world.

That he has been exposed NOW as a snake is a good thing. A happy thing.

I'm sorry you can't see that. The Republic is safer when people like Sanford are caught in their lies.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
And yes, I'm sad the ideal of the virtuous public servant has taken another hit. A democracy requires that ideal to be healthy. They all can't be Washington or Lincoln, but heaven help us if we don't believe some of them can be.
Why do you make this conclusion/assumption?

Today's politics are different and require a different breed. Moral constancy is not one of the traits or virtues necessary to "lead" politically. Good television face and voice, the ability to speak publicly in a clear and succinct manner, cozying up to party regulars and financiers, invoking the emotions of the time are de rigeur, not moral leadership, or selfless service. Those virtues died long ago, if they ever truly existed.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #10
Archaea

Quote:
This man was touted by some as a possible leader of the free world.

That he has been exposed NOW as a snake is a good thing. A happy thing.

I'm sorry you can't see that. The Republic is safer when people like Sanford are caught in their lies.
We don't need another white Southerner, but please, "protecting the Republic"?

The Republic is dying; it's just a matter of time before its death. I wager you and I will be long gone before its actual complete demise is realized, but the arc length of societies is shortening. In the Roman eras we experience approximately four to five hundred years per era. Technology and the speed of information and change will accelerate the decline and demise of societies, economically and then socially.

IOW, I see our role is to delay the inevitable as long as we can. But we can no longer expect good, moral people to function in politics. That's not what our system demands or utilizes, and those who could make a difference are not involved.