cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do adults view their bishops?

Knowing the lower volume of posters, not certain what we'll get in terms of feedback.

Do you see your bishop as a neighbor just doing a tough job?

Do you believe the bishop, as a religious leader some how has more insight into your affairs than you?

Do you see him as a friendly third party with some social counsel?

I haven't figured out what they are in my mind. In one sense, they act as portals to certain privileges. They possess certain administrative powers for the organization.

Last edited by Archaea; 12-29-2008 at 06:08 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I think this is the general idea.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I think this is the general idea.
That is the exception, not the rule.

Most view him as the portal for TRs and tithing settlement.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

Link?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

In my experience, I agree that this example is exceptional. I have had many bishops in my lifetime, and I can only think of one that I would match up as having inspired that kind of feeling in me. And I definitely think of him as exceptional in many ways--he remains a spiritual touchstone for me.

As for how I view bishops now, I guess I generally think of them as nice, well-meaning guys who are asked to do a job. My current bishop is a person I knew before he became bishop, and I think he's fine. He seems dedicated and attentive to the ward as a whole, but I really have very little do with him in his capacity as bishop.

I haven't had a TR interview done by a bishop since my initial one for my own endowment. I don't request any counseling, I don't get any $$ assistance, I don't need a voucher for the storehouse, I don't attend priesthood meetings, and I don't think I'm on the radar screen for special discussion at ward leadership meetings (nor do I think I should be). So I feel very little personal impact from the bishop. That's not meant as a criticism, it's just the way things are.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
In my experience, I agree that this example is exceptional. I have had many bishops in my lifetime, and I can only think of one that I would match up as having inspired that kind of feeling in me. And I definitely think of him as exceptional in many ways--he remains a spiritual touchstone for me.

As for how I view bishops now, I guess I generally think of them as nice, well-meaning guys who are asked to do a job. My current bishop is a person I knew before he became bishop, and I think he's fine. He seems dedicated and attentive to the ward as a whole, but I really have very little do with him in his capacity as bishop.

I haven't had a TR interview done by a bishop since my initial one for my own endowment. I don't request any counseling, I don't get any $$ assistance, I don't need a voucher for the storehouse, I don't attend priesthood meetings, and I don't think I'm on the radar screen for special discussion at ward leadership meetings (nor do I think I should be). So I feel very little personal impact from the bishop. That's not meant as a criticism, it's just the way things are.
I believe many Church members share your sentiments about their relationship with their bishops. My current bishop has served for approximately 4 years and other than the weekly handshake and exchange of pleasantries, I have had very little interaction with him during his time of service. Given the calling that I currently hold, I have worked more closely with his second counselor. My bishop is a good man that I respect and I appreciate his service to the ward as a whole. His impact on my life has been through his counseling of my teenagers through the annual/semi-annual interview process. He has been the subject of conversation in our home when we have explained the role of a bishop to our children and have encouraged them to willingly attend their scheduled interviews and show proper respect. Other than that, unless he addresses the congregation, I receive no direct instruction from him. However, I am confident that if I am ever in need of any temporal or spiritual assistance, I can turn to him for help or direction.

The bishop’s influence reaches the majority of ward membership through the dedicated service of ward members who willingly accept callings and carry out the bishop’s instructions/directions.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #7
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

I would say that about half of my prior Bishops, including my current one, have seemed "inspired" in the sense that they really did an exceptional job and seemed to have a knack for making really good decisions regarding callings (from my limited perspective).

I have a lot of respect for Bishops and others who give so much time to the Church. What an amazing sacrifice -- I just don't see myself feeling the same gratitude for a paid minister.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 04:13 AM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
I would say that about half of my prior Bishops, including my current one, have seemed "inspired" in the sense that they really did an exceptional job and seemed to have a knack for making really good decisions regarding callings (from my limited perspective).

I have a lot of respect for Bishops and others who give so much time to the Church. What an amazing sacrifice -- I just don't see myself feeling the same gratitude for a paid minister.
So you feel no gratitude for the service of the Apostles, the Seventies or other general authorities? All of them are paid.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:51 AM   #9
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that peple relate to bishops differently, depending upon what they are prepared to accept and what they need and depending upon the bishop's preparation. It would be as foolish to suppose that all bishops are equally prepared for any given circumstance as it would be to suppose that all members have similar needs. From personal experience I will tell you that I believe very much in the mantle of a bishop. I have seen it happen and it is amazing. The Lord helps those who serve, but each person is bound to some small or large degree by his own strengths or weaknesses.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:09 AM   #10
Archaea

"Mantle" is a term for Mormon mysticism, but I'm uncertain how you intend it.

I've seen some insights granted to those in authority, but you won't make an architect, a professional marriage counselor.