cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Can Mormonism enrich itself through dialogue with other religions or traditions?
No 5 33.33%
Yes 10 66.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can Mormonism enrich itself?

Can Mormonism enrich itself through dialogue with other religions or traditions?
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

No. I hate the ecumenical movement. It seeks to devalue everything in Mormonism that is unique.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Define "enrich itself". I don't think the meaning of that term is necessarily self-evident.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

This question can be interpreted in lots of ways. But I am always embarrassed at how badly we misrepresent the teachings and beliefs of other religions.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
Indy Coug

There is undoubtedly value in members individually educating themselves on what others believe. The benefits are

1. To identify shared beliefs and values, which might increase our respect of other faiths
2. Dispell false assumptions about another faith's doctrines
3. Derive a deeper appreciation for the richness of LDS theology which possesses more answers than other faiths provide

If what SIEQ means by 'enriching' is a ecumenical process of synthesizing our beliefs with other faiths, then I think that is completely going down the wrong path.

I enjoyed my World Religion class at BYU more than just about any other religion class I took there.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 09-30-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
This question can be interpreted in lots of ways. But I am always embarrassed at how badly we misrepresent the teachings and beliefs of other religions.
Can you give an example? Frankly, I don't recall many (or any) of the 12 or the 70 lecturing on other religions' teachings and beliefs. The closest I can think of was Holland's discussion of the Godhead last year, which I think was generally thought to be an excellent exposition.

And please don't say McConkie and the "great and abominable" Catholics.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Can you give an example? Frankly, I don't recall many (or any) of the 12 or the 70 lecturing on other religions' teachings and beliefs. The closest I can think of was Holland's discussion of the Godhead last year, which I think was generally thought to be an excellent exposition.

And please don't say McConkie and the "great and abominable" Catholics.

I took Leb's "we" as the masses not the leadership. Nearly every week in Gospel Doctrine someone butchers another religion's doctrine in an attempt to show how we're better.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I took Leb's "we" as the masses not the leadership. Nearly every week in Gospel Doctrine someone butchers another religion's doctrine in an attempt to show how we're better.
Exactly. Drives me nuts.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:31 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm trying to figure how you guys seem to corner the market on out of control Gospel Doctrine teachers. I've been in a lot of different wards and just never see the kind of things most of you relate as true experiences.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't gather that is what SEIQ means. It seems he's asking if we can't fully define ourselves, expand our definitions of our theology by comparing, contrasting and examining the beliefs of other faiths. Can we add and augment our understanding of the cosmos?

I'm not certain but, and although I'm not a big fan, one of our instructors enjoys using some of the more obscure CS Lewis passages to hypothesize what possibilities are concerning awareness.

So overall, depending upon usage I believe other faiths can enrich us, but not through the ecumenical process but through the comparative and reflective process.