cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The missionaries gave a presentation to

my EQ two weeks ago (the high priests joined us).

They were unveiling a new program.

I officially didn't care. I've figured out the "how" and "what" that I am good at missionary wise and I'm not going to throw that out for whatever new program.

I mentioned this to an old high priest sitting next to me. He's a good, faithful guy. His reply to me was, "Welcome to the club, grasshopper. Do you know how many times I've seen these programs come along?"
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-22-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Praise be to your open-mindedness.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Praise be to your open-mindedness.
I know what I'm good at and what I'm not. I have limited time and resources and allocate accordingly. And a sarcastic quip from you, of all people, on open-mindedness, is freaking hilarious.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-22-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM   #4
Indy Coug

I'm open minded enough to be willing to at least listen (which you admittedly said you didn't even bother doing [and nice edit to remove that comment]) and glean some new information or perspective brought by a new program so I then can evaluate how that can be used to better myself as a member and as a missionary.

The missionaries introduced a new program in my branch a few months ago. It's yielding quality results mission-wide. Good thing I and many others bothered to listen.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 07-22-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm open minded enough to be willing to at least listen (which you admittedly said you didn't even bother doing [and nice edit to remove that comment]) and glean some new information or perspective brought by a new program so I then can evaluate how that can be used to better myself as a member and as a missionary.

The missionaries introduced a new program in my branch a few months ago. It's yielding quality results mission-wide. Good thing I and many others bothered to listen.
Not an intentional omission. I did a quick cut and paste from CB--that's all. I didn't listen in the sense that when they tried to commit me to having one of my friends for a first discussion within two weeks, I knew I wasn't cut out for it.

I'm glad that you're finding success in your branch. That you are attributing that to a program, and not to people, is fascinating.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 07-22-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

I've always thought writing Preach My Gospel was a waste of time too. The Missionary Guide was so much better.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Not an intentional omission. I did a quick cut and paste from CB--that's all. I didn't listen in the sense that when they tried to commit me to having one of my friends for a first discussion within two weeks, I knew I wasn't cut out for it.

I'm glad that you're finding success in your branch. That you are attributing that to a program, and not to people, is fascinating.
Well, the entire mission didn't spontaneously come to the realization that using this approach might yield better results than we were seeing, so the program is part of it.

Obviously it takes people to make it actually work, except when those people refuse to do it or simply dismiss it out of hand because they already know what works for them.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I've always thought writing Preach My Gospel was a waste of time too. The Missionary Guide was so much better.
I wish I kept my copy of The Missionary Guide. I'd do regular comp study with RC and SteelBlue.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I wish I kept my copy of The Missionary Guide. I'd do regular comp study with RC and SteelBlue.
Perhaps I served my mission too many years ago to remember; or perhaps it was called something else than; or perhaps it never even existed when I was out in the field; or more likely, I simply ignored it; I just have no idea what The Missionary Guide is.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:45 PM   #10
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perhaps I served my mission too many years ago to remember; or perhaps it was called something else than; or perhaps it never even existed when I was out in the field; or more likely, I simply ignored it; I just have no idea what The Missionary Guide is.
You were too busy stuffing your face with pasta and gelato.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote