cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default Clean Hands and a Pure Heart

From Elder Bednar's Conference Talk from October 2007:

"Brothers and sisters, it is possible for us to have clean hands but not have a pure heart. Please notice that both clean hands and a pure heart are required to ascend into the hill of the Lord and to stand in His holy place."

Just read this yesterday and noticed that for the first time. An extremely interesting point IMO. I think that culturally, LDS tend to be over-focused on the "clean hands" part.

Which leads to the question? Which is more important or are they equal?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

We had a great lesson on Elder Bednar's talk several weeks ago.

I think the "pure hearts" aspect is much more significant than the "clean hands" - the one leads to the other, but not necessarily the other way around.

I think having a "pure heart" is the result of the "mighty change of heart" that we read about so often in the BOM.

I'm sure the pharisees had "clean hands" but definitely not "pure hearts" - this is what defines a Mormon Mullah to me.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
We had a great lesson on Elder Bednar's talk several weeks ago.

I think the "pure hearts" aspect is much more significant than the "clean hands" - the one leads to the other, but not necessarily the other way around.

I think having a "pure heart" is the result of the "mighty change of heart" that we read about so often in the BOM.

I'm sure the pharisees had "clean hands" but definitely not "pure hearts" - this is what defines a Mormon Mullah to me.

This is what I think too. I found it an interesting point by Bednar ... who is often thought of as a mullah himself.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
From Elder Bednar's Conference Talk from October 2007:

"Brothers and sisters, it is possible for us to have clean hands but not have a pure heart. Please notice that both clean hands and a pure heart are required to ascend into the hill of the Lord and to stand in His holy place."

Just read this yesterday and noticed that for the first time. An extremely interesting point IMO. I think that culturally, LDS tend to be over-focused on the "clean hands" part.

Which leads to the question? Which is more important or are they equal?
Good question.

Additionally, how do you obtain a pure heart? CS Lewis stated that the way to love someone isn't to sit around trying to manufacture feelings of love, but to act as if you did (fake it till you make it?). I think the connection between action and heart is real--it would be hard to perform very many acts of righteousness with the sincere intention of trying to attain a pure heart, without those actions having some effect on your heart. IMO, the eternal importance of actions is not in their benefits in this life (clothing the naked, housing the homeless, feeding the hungry, etc), but in the small change that each act inflicts on your heart.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote