cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2008, 04:20 PM   #1
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road
Default My official endorsement for President of the US

Bob Barr is the man.

I voted for Ron Paul in the Texas primary, but IMO, Bob Barr is more presidential and a much stronger candidate overall.

And before you hard core GOPers get worked up about throwing elections and making it easier for Obama to win, don't forget Ralph Nader is in the race running for the Green Party. A recent Rasmussen poll shows Barr currently getting 6% national support: 8% from Republicans and 5% from Democrats. Ralph Nader is at 4% in the same poll. So it'll be a wash anyway. If anything, the combination of Barr and Nader is a net plus for McCain as Barr is also taking almost as much support from the dems as he is from the GOP.

http://www.bobbarr2008.com
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I like his take on individual liberties and his disdain for pre-emptive war.

I will have to consider him as someone I will vote for.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I like his take on individual liberties and his disdain for pre-emptive war.

I will have to consider him as someone I will vote for.
He voted both for the Patriot Act and to authorize the war in Iraq. Speaks volumes.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
He voted both for the Patriot Act and to authorize the war in Iraq. Speaks volumes.
yeah, it is a concern except that he was still a brainwashed republican back then. I don't really care. I can respect a guy who recognizes a mistake.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
yeah, it is a concern except that he was still a brainwashed republican back then. I don't really care. I can respect a guy who recognizes a mistake.
His mistake recognizing timing was convenient. He began 'recognizing mistakes' as soon as his power within the R party began dwindling. Not that I mind terribly, but I think it's false to portray him as a man of rigid principle.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
His mistake recognizing timing was convenient. He began 'recognizing mistakes' as soon as his power within the R party began dwindling. Not that I mind terribly, but I think it's false to portray him as a man of rigid principle.
fair enough, I suppose. I don't expect him to win, but as long as he speaks for Libertarian ideals he gets my support. The real point of a third party candidacy is to bring issues to the forefront that are not being addressed by the two major parties. With 6% national support as of right now, I can see him become part of the conversation, especially if he can get some financial support and get into the presidential debates. Once he gets to the debates he could do some damage. One of the problems I have with the Republicans right now is that under this administration they have pursued many policies that have pushed libertarians out of the party (lack of fiscal responsibility, erosion of civil liberties, growth of government in general, etc.) The neocon element has even been outwardly hostile to libertarians.

Last edited by BlueK; 05-27-2008 at 06:01 PM.