cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 03:12 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you had a gay brother

would you prefer that he go through a series of live-in gay partners over the decades, or would you prefer that he be married to one stable partner?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt I would have a preference. Spouses come and go, but siblings remain. For me, although I can be friendly with spouses or partners, they really don't matter to me.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Spouses come and go...
Are you quoting Elizabeth Taylor here?

I think, gay or straight, commitment and monogamy are better for individuals, families and societies. But I am not the psychiatrist. What do the studies say?

My cousin recently "divorced" her partner of more than a decade. The break up was hard on her parents and siblings who had been treating her partner as family.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
would you prefer that he go through a series of live-in gay partners over the decades, or would you prefer that he be married to one stable partner?
My close friend (not brother, though) is with the same guy now for about 2 years. They seem pretty happy and are making an incredible combined income, so they get to travel, eat out, and fun things like that.

I would prefer stability and happiness for my friend. A series of relationships is usually less fulfilling than one stable one, regardless of sexual orientation, and even when the relationships are legitimate, not hook-ups.

My friend lives in SF, like your brother. He and his partner bought a pad in Noe Valley, very cool little place outside the City. They like it.

The one thing I asked my friend was to promise to be safe and not to get HIV. I was being serious. I knew that once gay guys come out of the closet, they often go through a period of all out hedonism, esp if they move to SF. I just wanted to make sure he survived all of that and didnt do anything that was going to end his life prematurely. Maybe I was being paranoid and sterotyping, but it was something we discussed pretty openly and honestly. I am glad we discussed it.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
Are you quoting Elizabeth Taylor here?

I think, gay or straight, commitment and monogamy are better for individuals, families and societies. But I am not the psychiatrist. What do the studies say?

My cousin recently "divorced" her partner of more than a decade. The break up was hard on her parents and siblings who had been treating her partner as family.

That's why I never view any spouse of siblings as permanent, because if you lose them, it hurts. Everybody besides family is temporary.

If part of the gay lifestyle is the bathhouse, at least for some, why should they limit themselves to just one? Let them wine and dine for as long as they wish.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
marsupial

Quote:
If part of the gay lifestyle is the bathhouse, at least for some, why should they limit themselves to just one? Let them wine and dine for as long as they wish.
STDs?

Oh, and I also believe there is something to be said about keeping intimacy, intimate.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Why would anyone choose to have a sibling, whether gay or not, have a series of live in partners over one stable partner.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:38 PM   #8
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
STDs?

Oh, and I also believe there is something to be said about keeping intimacy, intimate.
For men, intimacy is often not intimate. I am led to believe that proper use of prophylactics even in the bathhouse situation can greatly reduce STDs to a point where it shouldn't be a concern.

In reality, if I had, which I don't, relatives who were gay, then I'd rather not know about their sexual activity. And if they wanted a bacchanalian lifestyle, then so be it.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #9
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd want him to be happy. Based on my experience happienss is easiest to achieve in a stable loving relationship.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #10
marsupial

Quote:
For men, intimacy is often not intimate.
I believe it is that way for a lot of people, men and women. It's a very empty and selfish view of sex. At the end of your life you've had a lot of orgasms, and few, if any, meaningful relationships.