cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Those of you claiming polygamy and gay marriage are equal

I assume you have no more problem with women marrying multiple men than vice versa.

The easy distinction is that "polygamy" is not gender neutral, and gay marriage is. Indeed, manifestly, whereas polygamy has traditionally been a means of oppressing and abusing women gay unions have not. Polygamy is wrong, it's downright evil, and gay marriage is not. I have no doubt about this.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:19 AM   #2
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I assume you have no more problem with women marrying multiple men than vice versa.

The easy distinction is that "polygamy" is not gender neutral, and gay marriage is. Indeed, manifestly, whereas polygamy has traditionally been a means of oppressing and abusing women gay unions have not. Polygamy is wrong, it's downright evil, and gay marriage is not. I have no doubt about this.
Thanks for sharing your testimony. Wish I could say I was moved.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
SeattleUte

Quote:

This isn't the only distinction, by the way. It's just one of them. Gay marriage offers gays the only opportunity to marry. Society recognizes gay as not a choice. Not so for polygamy.

If this is such a compelling point, why are only guys like Norcal, exute and Waters making it, in the whole world? It's a ludicrous argument. No one is taking to the streets saying now legalize polygamy as a constitutional right. Grow up.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Thanks for sharing your testimony. Wish I could say I was moved.
Oh, I forgot. COlly Wolly is making the analogy too. See a pattern?

—Paul Auster
Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 AM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

You're full of crap on this. First, no one is claiming this. WHo says they are "equal" (whatever that means)? Second, people are suggesting that allowing gay marriage opens the door for all sorts of unions, be it multiple males, females, mixes or whatever. Third, you, of all people, should be preared to live wiht the consequences of theis change. Your testimony, as COlly corectly dubs it, of the inevitable oppressive nature of polygamy is just hooey. It is almost identicval to the arguments religions use against gay marriage and is nothing more than a remnant of your social viewpoint but surely you wouldn't propose that this should be the basis to prohibit consenting adults from joining in legal union?
Old 05-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #6
creekster

Quote:
This isn't the only distinction, by the way. It's just one of them. Gay marriage offers gays the only opportunity to marry. Society recognizes gay as not a choice. Not so for polygamy.

If this is such a compelling point, why are only guys like Norcal, exute and Waters making it, in the whole world? It's a ludicrous argument. No one is taking to the streets saying now legalize polygamy as a constitutional right. Grow up.
Then tell me why its not. Have you read the deciison in California? WHy don't the arguments made there apply to polygamy? Persuade me rather than call me names.

Last edited by creekster; 05-17-2008 at 04:38 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #7
Mars

Mars is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Polygamy is wrong, it's downright evil, and gay marriage is not.
You've got it completely bass-ackwards there.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:40 AM   #8
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You're full of crap on this. First, no one is claiming this. WHo says they are "equal" (whatever that means)? Second, people are suggesting that allowing gay marriage opens the door for all sorts of unions, be it multiple males, females, mixes or whatever. Third, you, of all people, should be preared to live wiht the consequences of theis change. Your testimony, as COlly corectly dubs it, of the inevitable oppressive nature of polygamy is just hooey. It is almost identicval to the arguments religions use against gay marriage and is nothing more than a remnant of your social viewpoint but surely you wouldn't propose that this should be the basis to prohibit consenting adults from joining in legal union?
Several people here have said that any rationalization for gay marriage supports polygamy.

I don't actually think that religions argue gay marriage oppresses women or anyone. THey are claiming something else. They simply claim it is deviant and sinful.

But we don't have to engage in a tangled factual discussion whether polygamy has oppressed women through the ages to today. The hard fact is that polygamy is not gender neutral and gay marriage is. Polygamy reinforces some rigid societal limitations on women that some of us abhor.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-17-2008, 04:43 AM   #9
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Then tell me why its not. Have you read the deciison in California? WHy don't the arguments made there apply to polygamy? Persuade me rather than call me names.
I've made two compelling arguments including in the first paragraph of the quoted language in your post. Do you ever consider societal norms and consensus in deciding what's right and wrong? I recommend it. The fact that only a few Mormon men are making this argument should tell you something.

—Paul Auster
Old 05-17-2008, 04:44 AM   #10
creekster

Quote:
Several people here have said that any rationalization for gay marriage supports polygamy.

I don't actually think that religions argue gay marriage oppresses women or anyone. THey are claiming something else. They simply claim it is deviant and sinful.

But we don't have to engage in a tangled factual discussion whether polygamy has oppressed women through the ages to today. The hard fact is that polygamy is not gender neutral and gay marriage is. Polygamy reinforces some rigid societal limitations on women that some of us abhor.
OOOOooo-kaaay, so if it is poly whatever, as opposed to polyagmy, then you apparently agree that the same rationalw that requires us to allow gay unions would reauire us to allow poly-anything-goes unions, right?