cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Key issues for me, and maybe for a few others

Economy and taxes.

Above all else, and a sector that interests me is health care. Despite the protestations of others, it is against my experience, training and expertise to find socialized medicine in greater degrees to benefit the general populace.

As little regulation as possible.

We will be better off tinkering with the existing system than a massive overhaul, or a massive increases in coverage.

Military. We need a strong, effective defense force, and interventions overseas are often ill-advised, but most often we engage in them to protect economic or strategic interests. It appears we are moving back to isolationism, for better or worse.

Social issues. Libertarianism without increasing civil rights actions for every new right under the sun. Live and let live.

Social spending should be as minimal as possible with government ceasing to be the large employer that it is.

Cali wondered what my issues were, and those are what are important to me.

Obama satisfies none of those concerns and is an anathema as a result.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Economy and taxes.

Above all else, and a sector that interests me is health care. Despite the protestations of others, it is against my experience, training and expertise to find socialized medicine in greater degrees to benefit the general populace.

As little regulation as possible.

We will be better off tinkering with the existing system than a massive overhaul, or a massive increases in coverage.

Military. We need a strong, effective defense force, and interventions overseas are often ill-advised, but most often we engage in them to protect economic or strategic interests. It appears we are moving back to isolationism, for better or worse.

Social issues. Libertarianism without increasing civil rights actions for every new right under the sun. Live and let live.

Social spending should be as minimal as possible with government ceasing to be the large employer that it is.

Cali wondered what my issues were, and those are what are important to me.

Obama satisfies none of those concerns and is an anathema as a result.
Ironically, the guy you voted for last election doesnt really satisfy any of those, either.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Ironically, the guy you voted for last election doesnt really satisfy any of those, either.
You are correct; however, the other choice was even worse.

I've come to the conclusion that voting for President is really just choosing which candidate sucks the least on the day of the election.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:46 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
What choice did I have?

Ronald Reagan wasn't running.

IN one sense, if I could have Mitt's economic sense, Ron Paul's libertarian sense, Obama's appeal to the media, McCain's ability to attract the middle, and Ronald Reagan's ability to make you believe in ourselves, I'd vote for that candidate.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:34 PM   #5
TripletDaddy

Quote:
IN one sense, if I could have Mitt's economic sense, Ron Paul's libertarian sense, Obama's appeal to the media, McCain's ability to attract the middle, and Ronald Reagan's ability to make you believe in ourselves, I'd vote for that candidate.
I think everyone would.

The funny thing about this year's election....the longer this thing drags out, and, when McCain inevitably moves more towards the left in the general election, many will look back on Ron Paul and think..."hey, that guy is not so bad."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 05-14-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Archaea

Quote:
I think everyone would.

The funny thing about this year's election....the longer this thing drags out, and, when McCain inevitably moves more towards the left in the general election, many will look back on Ron Paul and think..."hey, that guy is not so bad."
I liked him until he started dissing evolution. Then I thought, "what a nut."

If you don't believe in evolution in most forms, then I don't have reason to trust your judgment.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:54 PM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm pretty much with you Arch, but I'm curious why you think we're moving towards isolationism.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'm pretty much with you Arch, but I'm curious why you think we're moving towards isolationism.
My guess is that he read it this morning on that aussie blog he linked. The author pondered US isolationism as a result of global hostilities towards us, if I am not mistaken.

Basically, the US is eventualy going to get so sick of all the criticism and so pissed at all the ingrates that it will simply take its ball and go home, much like John Starks did when he left the Utah Jazz.

Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 AM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Some of the attraction Obama holds for people is his appeal to get out of Iraq. Afghanistan and Iraq have severely impacted our nation's will to be adventurous.

We are gunshy, and it has nothing to do with the Aussie blog, as we still rush to aid countries when tragedies strike the TV screen.

Our will is dying. Obama will sap it even further to a point where we may view isolationism as the best option, which is probably a mistake as that will give China the green light.

It's just a sense.