cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road
Default Mortgage crisis

So, I'm getting a lot of conflicting messages as to why we should all support the bailout. I'm starting to think that some of this confusion is intentional--after all, everyone can sort of pick their own pet reason to support it. Problem is, and I think the backers of this bailout know it, it's very difficult to put the reasons into one coherent argument without running into problems.

Anyone want to try?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

We shouldn't support it. We shouldn't bail out someone that got a house at 4.75% 3/1 ARM 3 years ago where the monthly payment at 4.75% was 50% of their debt to income ratio and when the inevitable rate reset 3 years later came along and jacked up the interest rate 2% or so they couldn't handle the skyrocketing monthly payments.

And Countrywide, et al, should justifiably go in the tank for underwriting such ridiculous loans to begin with.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 05-14-2008 at 08:28 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, it is painful. But these crazy prices need to come down.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #4
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
We shouldn't support it.
I agree. But it seems like the supporters keep throwing out a bunch of different stories to appeal to one's sense of racism, one's fear of losing the value on their house, one's fear of preventing an economic collapse, etc in order to drum up as much support as possible.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Yes, it is painful. But these crazy prices need to come down.
And they won't as long as we're artificially supporting the market.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
So, I'm getting a lot of conflicting messages as to why we should all support the bailout. I'm starting to think that some of this confusion is intentional--after all, everyone can sort of pick their own pet reason to support it. Problem is, and I think the backers of this bailout know it, it's very difficult to put the reasons into one coherent argument without running into problems.

Anyone want to try?
I'm with Indy. We should not support it. We shouldn't bail out predatory mortgage companies and people dumb enough to buy something they really couldn't afford.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post

Anyone want to try?
The only reason I say support something is the people who in the neighborhood who are screwed because of this. Lets say you are guy who live is Michigan and bought your house in 2004. and now in your neighborhood there are at least 10 houses that are foreclosed on. Your house is now worth almost 20k less then what you bought it for. The foreclosed houses yards are looking like crap. If there was a solution for these people (ok me) I am for it.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Sorry to interrupt the overwhelming sense of charity and love for all mankind, but there is one significant demographic that has not really been addressed much.

Many of these homes facing foreclosure were investment homes. In other words, knuckelheads bought them, but rented them out to otherwise salient and responsible families.

I saw on the news this week a family that was kicked out of their home because the landlord wasnt making his mortgage payments. The renters were current. They were good people and enjoyed living in the home. They had no idea the landlord was overextended.

Innocent renters (families) will also bear the brunt of this, as well. yes, they can eventually find another place, but what a huge hassle.

It is a very difficult situation with no easy solution.

And for everyone here crowing about how they don't like their taxes to be spent to bail someone else out....hate to break it to you, but you guys arent even paying that much in taxes. we had a bunch of folks here vote this week that they made less than 100K a year. Where exactly do you feel that all your tax dollars are going? What a joke. Walk me through that logic. Your tax dollars arent enough to fix a few potholes on state street, let alone bail out a national housing crisis. I include myself in this group, btw (gross taxes).

If you folks are concerned about your tax dollars bailing out ingrates, then grab some posterboard and head to DC to protest the war in Iraq.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #9
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
The only reason I say support something is the people who in the neighborhood who are screwed because of this. Lets say you are guy who live is Michigan and bought your house in 2004. and now in your neighborhood there are at least 10 houses that are foreclosed on. Your house is now worth almost 20k less then what you bought it for. The foreclosed houses yards are looking like crap. If there was a solution for these people (ok me) I am for it.
I was a guy in Michigan and I did lose a lot on my home. These foreclosures aren't happening in Michigan. They're happening in AZ, NV, CA, FL (the four hardest-hit markets). These aren't working stiffs losing their homes.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Sorry to interrupt the overwhelming sense of charity and love for all mankind, but there is one significant demographic that has not really been addressed much.

Many of these homes facing foreclosure were investment homes. In other words, knuckelheads bought them, but rented them out to otherwise salient and responsible families.

I saw on the news this week a family that was kicked out of their home because the landlord wasnt making his mortgage payments. The renters were current. They were good people and enjoyed living in the home. They had no idea the landlord was overextended.

Innocent renters (families) will also bear the brunt of this, as well. yes, they can eventually find another place, but what a huge hassle.
Is there a Federal guarantee of right of hassle-free moving between rental houses in the Bill of Rights? Maybe I missed something. It just seems that whenever anything inconvenient happens there is a segment of the population who is totally unprepared and has to go running to the government to make their life hassle-free. We have 5% unemployment, positive (albeit small) GDP growth in Q1, and people are starting to act like we're in the middle of the Great Depression.
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote