cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should "bitch slap" be temple recommend preclusive?
Yes 5 35.71%
No 6 42.86%
Undecided 3 21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Should "bitch slap" be temple recommend preclusive?

I read one of the more pious participants in this board say some here deserve to be "bitch slapped" by their church. Should a stake president deny a temple recommend to someone who says such a thing? Of course it's profane; worse, like the C-word it's misogynistic, and worst of all it glorifies spousal abuse. (Vote.)

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-26-2008 at 09:27 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #2
T Blue

T Blue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I read one of the more pious participants in this board say some here deserve to be "bitch slapped" by their church. Should a stake president deny a temple recommend to someone who says such a thing? Of course it's profane; worse, like the C-word it's misogynistic, and worst of all it glorifies spousal abuse. (Vote.)
I voted yes, it is just horrible to, as you put it, "glorify" spousal abuse. LOL

Of course that is how I wrote it and certainly that is what I meant, but once again the PC police will get on their horses and make sure the evil words written by others are met with justice.

Last edited by T Blue; 02-26-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: oops
T Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #3
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
I voted yes, it is just horrible to, as you put it, "glorify" spousal abuse. LOL

Of course that is how I wrote it and certainly that is what I meant, but once again the PC police will get on their horses and make sure the evil words written by others are met with justice.
SeattleUte isn't the PC police. He's more like the hypocrite police. You got busted.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
Hsaru

Hsaru is on a distinguished road

I don't understand the animosity Woot and SeattleUte hold for the church. I am also inactive and have been for sometime, but I harbor no ill will towards the church or its members.

Unless you were severely wronged by the church, I don't get the vitriol you still maintain for the church and its teachings. Life is much more enjoyable if you don't allow events occurring in a church you don't belong to affect you so strongly.
Hsaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsaru View Post
I don't understand the animosity Woot and SeattleUte hold for the church. I am also inactive and have been for sometime, but I harbor no ill will towards the church or its members.

Unless you were severely wronged by the church, I don't get the vitriol you still maintain for the church and its teachings. Life is much more enjoyable if you don't allow events occurring in a church you don't belong to affect you so strongly.
Where do you get the impression I harbor all this ill will? I enjoy discussing religion, science, politics, etc., and it so happens that there is great opportunity to discuss such issues on the board of my favorite sports program. Calling it as I see it when it comes up is not evidence of bitterness. If I were starting tons of threads about all the foibles of the church you might have a point, but I actually endeavor to stay out of most of the religious discussions.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:35 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsaru View Post

You got it wrong. SU harbors ill will for the people on this board. He uses the church as his weapon. Relax.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I have no animosity toward the LDS Church. I love truth. Love truth. I'm the flaming sword of truth.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I have no animosity toward the LDS Church. I love truth. Love truth. I'm the flaming sword of truth.
Sorry Seattle, but you had me rolling with that one.

Ute truth.