cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2008, 09:01 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Here's an odd question

what compels a person to "support" somebody such as Nielsen who wouldn't support the supporter?

Supporting a family member, a loved one, a relative is sensible, IMHO. But why butt heads with any organization, if it won't get you paid, or get you laid?

Perhaps I'm a bit of a pragmatist.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:04 PM   #2
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
what compels a person to "support" somebody such as Nielsen who wouldn't support the supporter?

Supporting a family member, a loved one, a relative is sensible, IMHO. But why butt heads with any organization, if it won't get you paid, or get you laid?

Perhaps I'm a bit of a pragmatist.
Neilson was just a catalyst for sharing an opinion Danzig already wanted to express. IMHO. If it wasn't Neilson it would have eventually been someone or something else.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 PM   #3
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm thinking the Nielsen thing was the catalyst for some bad feelings left over from the poor treatment Danzig believes his father received from church authorities. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

And I believe that is also the reason he failed to temper his written statements.

It's a bell that can't be unrung, so I can't say I necessarily criticize him for refusing to back down once that bell was rung.

Had it been less of an emotional issue for him, perhaps he would have been less strident in his letter to the editor, and everything would have blown over.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I'm thinking the Nielsen thing was the catalyst for some bad feelings left over from the poor treatment Danzig believes his father received from church authorities. The proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.

And I believe that is also the reason he failed to temper his written statements.

It's a bell that can't be unrung, so I can't say I necessarily criticize him for refusing to back down once that bell was rung.

Had it been less of an emotional issue for him, perhaps he would have been less strident in his letter to the editor, and everything would have blown over.
Another thing, what idiot gives his real name in a letter to the editor? I've written a few but have never, ever given any trail which could link me to the letter?
Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 PM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Who's the idiot here. I and many like me didn't even know about the letter to the editor. It was something that certainly would have been quickly forgotten. So they kick him out of the orchestra and then constructively evict him from his religion, and the whole event matastasizes. Meanwhile, this fellow is probably having a blast; his 15 minutes of fame, as Andy Worhol used to say.

My sense is that people who are angry are not so much angry about the LDS church's support for the gay marriage amenedment, they're pissed about the fact this guy writes a letter to the editor expressing his opinion and then gets kicked out of the orchestra and finally bullied out of the church. Can't the LDS Church just have ignored the guy, left him alone? They themselves created whatever problem this is for them by taking action against this little guy.

The fundamental problem is that this "only true church" is so racked by insecurity, so lacking in the courage of its convictions and fundamental righteousness of its positions and even its reason for being it's funny. They haven't changed since they were buying fake "historical" documents discrediting Mormonism from Mark Hoffman to hide from members or destroy.

Ultimately, they're scared to death of guys like this little fellow who just wanted to play his obo in the tabernacle. If they had the courage of their convictions they would have left him alone. They're bullies; they pick on people.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-26-2008 at 09:53 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Ultimately, they're scared to death of guys like this little fellow who just wanted to play his obo in the tabernacle.
Hey, I thought we established that the guy's not gay.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 PM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Who's the idiot here. I and many like me didn't even know about the letter to the editor. It was something that certainly would have been quickly forgotten. So they kick him out of the orchestra and then constructively evict him from his religion, and the whole even matastasizes. Meanwhile, this fellow is probably having a blast; his 15 minutes of fame, as Andy Worhol used to say.

My sense is that people who are angry are not so much angry about the LDS church's support for the gay marriage amenedment, they're pissed about the fact this guy writes a letter to the editor expressing his opinion and then gets kicked out of the orchestra and finally bullied out of the church. Can't the LDS Church just have ignored the guy, left him alone? They themselves created whatever problem this is for them by taking action against this little guy.

The fundamental problem is that this "only true church" is so racked by insecurity, so lacking in the courage of its convictions and fundamental righteousness of its positions and even its eason for being it's funny. They haven't changed since they were buying fake "historical" documents discrediting Mormonism from Mark Hoffman to hide from members or destroy.

Ultimately, they're scared to death of guys like this little fellow who just wanted to play his obo in the tabernacle. If they had the courage of their convictions they would have left him alone. They're bullies; they pick on people.
The church doesn't get any high marks here to be certain.

However, would you ever list your real name in any letter to the editor, unless the client paid you to do so?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The church doesn't get any high marks here to be certain.

However, would you ever list your real name in any letter to the editor, unless the client paid you to do so?
LOL. Yes. Most people here know who I am. What's the difference? The only reason I'd hesitiate is if it could cost me money. But if I felt like writing a published piece that might anger a client I'd refrain, just wouldn't do it.

There's no shame in showing the courage of your convictions, displaying a little devotion to principle.

Personally, I think the LDS Church is in the wrong here on so many levels it makes me dizzy. It's a wonderful thing to have your convictions validated.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
LOL. Yes. Most people here know who I am. What's the difference? The only reason I'd hesitiate is if it could cost me money. But if I felt like writing a published piece that might anger a client I'd refrain, just wouldn't do it.

There's no shame in showing the courage of your convictions, displaying a little devotion to principle.

Personally, I think the LDS Church is in the wrong here on so many levels it makes me dizzy. It's a wonderful thing to have your convictions validated.
Yes, but posting semi-anonymously on a message board, is quite a bit different, than leaving your name, as Joe Schmo Rich attorney.

Let me put it to you differently.

Do you want your young associate attorneys writing letters to the Seattle Tribune, opining as attorneys for Your Biggest Client, that your biggest client is dishonest, disreputable and incapable of rendering honest goods and services?