cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jacob, Esau, and Stew

Setting aside the textual issues...

Esau always gets the brunt end of the stew story. I am amazed that few people remark that Jacob comes out of this story seeming like a slimy character.

Sure, Esau was foolish to trade his birthright for stew. But what does it say about Jacob that he would try to weedle his brother out of a birthright like this?

Nothing good. And don't even get me started on Rebekah's favoritism and the ole' switcheroo on the blind Isaac in Genesis 27.

The soap opera quality does make for interesting reading, though.

Genesis 25:29-34 (NRSV):

29 Once when Jacob was cooking a stew, Esau came in from the field, and he was famished. 30 Esau said to Jacob, "Let me eat some of that red stuff, for I am famished!" (Therefore he was called Edom.) 31 Jacob said, "First sell me your birthright." 32 Esau said, "I am about to die; of what use is a birthright to me?" 33 Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and lentil stew, and he ate and drank, and rose and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Yes, it is a bizarre story. I always felt that Jacob and his mother were pretty creepy in this whole affair.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

Esau always gets the brunt end of the stew story. I am amazed that few people remark that Jacob comes out of this story seeming like a slimy character.

Sure, Esau was foolish to trade his birthright for stew. But what does it say about Jacob that he would try to weedle his brother out of a birthright like this?

Nothing good. And don't even get me started on Rebekah's favoritism and the ole' switcheroo on the blind Isaac in Genesis 27.

29 Once when Jacob was cooking a stew, Esau came in from the field, and he was famished. 30 Esau said to Jacob, "Let me eat some of that red stuff, for I am famished!" (Therefore he was called Edom.) 31 Jacob said, "First sell me your birthright." 32 Esau said, "I am about to die; of what use is a birthright to me?" 33 Jacob said, "Swear to me first." So he swore to him, and sold his birthright to Jacob. 34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and lentil stew, and he ate and drank, and rose and went his way. Thus Esau despised his birthright.
I too have always been disturbed by this one. And I read a midrash that suggested, Esau was extremely famished, and they lived in the desert where Esau couldn't see the value of his birthright so Jacob deceived into selling it. There are several narratives like this one which are quite disturbing.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It is a very fitting story for how people perceive it is like to have business dealing with a Jew or for that matter mormons.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes, it is a bizarre story. I always felt that Jacob and his mother were pretty creepy in this whole affair.
I agree, it's an odd story.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #6
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
It is a very fitting story for how people perceive it is like to have business dealing with a Jew or for that matter mormons.
Perhaps it's the beginning of the sterotype.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Perhaps it's the beginning of the sterotype.

Or perhaps that is what the "birthright" meant. The right to take advantage of people.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Gary Rendsburg (http://jewishstudies.rutgers.edu/faculty/grendsburg/) explained in a recent lecture I attended that Jacob having to work 14 years for Rachel was his comeuppance for ripping off Esau. There's a parallelism based on age seniority that Jacob circumvented with Esau, and then tried to circumvent with Laban. Consequently, Laban tricked Jacob with a similar deception. Easy come, easy go, Jake.

I've also thought that Esau is vilified in LDS lesson manuals because he marries a Canaanite, http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.js...ontentLocale=0

but he never gets credit for forgiving his brother. After years apart, Jacob was afraid to meet him (Gen. 32.7) but Esau ran to meet his brother and embraced him (33.4). It's a great story.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Any guy who would trade his birthright for a bowl of soup doesn't deserve the birthright.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.

Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 02-25-2008 at 08:12 PM.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet Esau was everyone's favorite owner in their fantasy league.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote