cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 AM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Nephi's psalm

Why do we have to say Nephi's sin was "probably inconsequential"? That's how it was taught in our gospel doctrine today. That's how it's been handled by nearly everyone I've heard discuss it. Why? What if it was a serious sin?

I don't speculate on what the sin was, but I tend to think it was more than an inconsequential thing. Why else would he bring it up? If his audience is a group of people generally with serious sin under their belts at some time in their life, wouldn't it be a little pretentious to be dramatic about the effect of "minor" sin? That's fake humility to me.

Last edited by jay santos; 02-25-2008 at 01:52 AM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:03 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Why do we have to say Nephi's sin was "probably inconsequential"? That's how it was taught in our gospel doctrine today. That's how it's been handled by nearly everyone I've heard discuss it. Why? What if it was a serious sin?

I don't speculate on what the sin was, but I tend to think it was more than an inconsequential thing. Why else would he bring it up? If his audience is a group of people generally with serious sin under their belts at some time in their life, wouldn't it be a little pretentious to be dramatic about the effect of "minor" sin? That's fake humility to me.
maybe Nephi felt guilty about a murder he committed. is that serious?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:53 AM   #3
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Our lesson was the same way. I have no idea whether it was serious or not, but we tend to put leaders on pedestals that they can never live up to. An unfortunate part of the globalization of the church is that we don't interact with high level church authorities like they did in the past and we only see them in contexts where we're less likely to see their personal foibles.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I missed the SS lesson. I was sitting there, but I was preparing my priesthood listen and reading Arnett.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Who came up with the idea of it being a specific sin in the first place?

18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.
19 And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.
27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
31 O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?

It sounds to me like Nephi could very easily be referring to sin in the abstract, rather than some specific sin. If we must speculate, context is helpful. This psalm sounds very present tense, and is sandwiched between two passages describing severe difficulties with his brothers. It could be Nephi was wrestling greatly with his own anger/frustration towards them, and/or possibly contemplating leaving them behind.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 02-25-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 AM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I bet he was killing kittens.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Nephi isn't nearly as worked up as my District Leader was over his drinking Mountain Dew on P-Day.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Who came up with the idea of it being a specific sin in the first place?

18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me.
19 And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted.
27 And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy?
28 Awake, my soul! No longer droop in sin. Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul.
31 O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?

It sounds to me like Nephi could very easily be referring to sin in the abstract, rather than some specific sin. If we must speculate, context is helpful. This psalm sounds very present tense, and is sandwiched between two passages describing severe difficulties with his brothers. It could be Nephi was wrestling greatly with his own anger/frustration towards them, and/or possibly contemplating leaving them behind.
If you were a bishop and someone came in and started their confession with the above verses, would you expect to hear about the person's difficulty with frustration towards a sinful relative? I think you'd be bracing for something more consequential. Seriously. Wouldn't you want to smack them and say "you're that worried about sin and that's all you got?"

Last edited by jay santos; 02-25-2008 at 02:44 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you were a bishop and someone came in and started their confession with the above verses, would you expect to hear about the person's difficulty with frustration towards a sinful relative? I think you'd be bracking for something more consequential. Seriously. Wouldn't you want to smack them and say "you're that worried about sin and that's all you got?"
LOL!
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

We had the same discussion.

Did anybody else notice the "GA hero worship" in full effect?

And I quote from a good sister, "well for you and me, Nephi's sins would have been minuscule, but he was so close to godhood, he could feel just a smidgeon."

The image I get from listening to some is that a person called as an apostle has ascended the thrown of righteous and can do no wrong. What's odd is this sentiment is cultural and contrary to words of the apostles and the scriptures, but seems to be prevailing cultural sentiment. It certainly helps the leaders govern but harms us in the long run. How has this arisen?