cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #1
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road
Default Prayers in Sacrament Meeting

Had an interesting policy question come up last week. A friend of mine who is the Exec Sec in his ward set up prayers for Sacrament meeting and just by chance, asked a woman to say the invocation and a man to say the benediction. One of the counselors (the one conducting) approached him and asked him to switch the order, indicating the church custom that a Melchizedek priesthood holder should open Sacrament meeting.

It's been a long time since I'd heard this little nugget, so I cross-checked it in the Handbook. Not there. I asked our bishop about it, and he indicated we too follow that policy, and it's one of President Packer's "unwritten rules." I went and referenced Packer's "The Unwritten Order of Things" and it's not in there (though he could've said it in a local visit, I suppose).

I'm curious, how many of your wards follow that policy, and do you think it's one of those little (incorrect) traditions we've built our doctrine around? Personally, I see nothing wrong with a worthy sister opening Sacrament meeting, I don't like the implication that it should be otherwise.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Perhaps it's the interpretation of particular Bishops to do that. I've never heard of that custom.

In my ward, on several occasions, a Sister has offered the invocation.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

OUr ward most certainly does not follow that custom. This is not a type of rebelliojn, however, I just don't think we ever thought we were supposed to do so.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Had an interesting policy question come up last week. A friend of mine who is the Exec Sec in his ward set up prayers for Sacrament meeting and just by chance, asked a woman to say the invocation and a man to say the benediction. One of the counselors (the one conducting) approached him and asked him to switch the order, indicating the church custom that a Melchizedek priesthood holder should open Sacrament meeting.

It's been a long time since I'd heard this little nugget, so I cross-checked it in the Handbook. Not there. I asked our bishop about it, and he indicated we too follow that policy, and it's one of President Packer's "unwritten rules." I went and referenced Packer's "The Unwritten Order of Things" and it's not in there (though he could've said it in a local visit, I suppose).

I'm curious, how many of your wards follow that policy, and do you think it's one of those little (incorrect) traditions we've built our doctrine around? Personally, I see nothing wrong with a worthy sister opening Sacrament meeting, I don't like the implication that it should be otherwise.
Our ward doesn't follow that, a woman said our opening prayer today. Did it bother you that your bishop referred to something that's BKP's opinions as a "policy"?
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Our ward doesn't follow that, a woman said our opening prayer today. Did it bother you that your bishop referred to something that's BKP's opinions as a "policy"?
I don't remember his exact phrasing; those are probably my words, not his.

I don't really have a problem with a bishop who chooses to adopt this convention as his personal preference. He presides and is entitled to direct the ward as he feels inspired (within reason, of course). I just take a little exception with it being taught as "the way things ought to be." People find strange things to take a stand on sometimes.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Tex, I've heard this one both ways. The most common version is the one you described but I've also heard people say that a priesthood holder should close the meeting. I have never been able to find any evidence to support it and our ward does not follow any such policy. I would say that it probably comes from some outdated leadership training from decades ago and some folks have just passed it on.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
scottie

Women should be lucky we even let them pray in sacrament meeting right? Anyone here know the background re: why the LDS Church hasn't always let women say prayers in sacrament meeting? When did that ban start and end? (I'm too lazy to use the CG search feature).
Old 02-25-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Women should be lucky we even let them pray in sacrament meeting right? Anyone here know the background re: why the LDS Church hasn't always let women say prayers in sacrament meeting? When did that ban start and end? (I'm too lazy to use the CG search feature).
Was this directed at Tex? He didn't give any indication that he believed this.

If it was for Adam, you missed the healthy dose of sarcasm.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:16 AM   #9
scottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Was this directed at Tex? He didn't give any indication that he believed this.

If it was for Adam, you missed the healthy dose of sarcasm.
Obviously my first sentence was sarcastic (not directed at anyone). You know the LDS Church hasn't always allowed women to pray in sacrament mtgs right?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:17 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Obviously my first sentence was sarcastic. You know the LDS Church hasn't always allowed women to pray in sacrament mtgs right?
I didn't know that.

I recant my post, but still think you were oversensitive.