cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So, explain this about church callings...

So, I got called to the elders quorum presidency this week. Already, I have some genius ideas that will blow peoples' minds. http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16801

So, I was called. And 3 things struck me in the calling:
1. As the Stake Presidency member was telling me about the calling, I asked him who the new EQ president was going to be and he said 'We'll get to that after I extend the calling.' He was very nice but it struck me that he wouldn't tell him who the guy was that I would be working with. He later explained that it was the calling that was being extended, not those I would work with. But, most likely it wouldn't be the case, but what if I couldn't stand the guy and yet, I had accepted the calling? Is this typical? I can see it, 'Thanks for accepting and you will be working with Brother Turd and Brother Crapman, enjoy!'

2. Why are things a secret? I accepted, the president accepted, so why I can't I get on my rooftop and proclaim my new found status? Seriously, what is the point of waiting till Sunday when it is announced. It seems that would stop the gossip and guessing of people if it was talked about right off the bat.

3. Finally, is it too much to ask to be referred to as 1st Counselor UteStar from now on in my ward? Instead of Brother UteStar, it would simply be 1st Counselor UteStar. Not sure if that is going to work, but it won't be for lack of trying.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

the reason, in general, for not annoucing who is going to be in a calling, is that that callings fall through, and all parties would not have it known that it ended up not working out.

You will see, once you have reached the privileged levels I have already reached.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Zulu451
house-elf 3rd class

Zulu451 is on a distinguished road

Mike is right about this one.

Think of the gossip and inuendo that would be running amok throughout the ward if the calling fell through for one reason or another after the populace found out about it.

I can also see how advanced knowledge of particular callings could lead to politiking for other callings, like bishops or EQ counselor positions. Just for example.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UteStar View Post
3. Finally, is it too much to ask to be referred to as 1st Counselor UteStar from now on in my ward? Instead of Brother UteStar, it would simply be 1st Counselor UteStar. Not sure if that is going to work, but it won't be for lack of trying.
I think you should go for "President UteStar" like those in the First Presidency.

Then again, "Elder" or even "Brother" seems to work just fine for those in the Twelve.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, if I found out a friend was called as Bishop or EQ president in my ward, I would take an immediate improptu 2 week vacation.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote