cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default What is religious bigotry?

Not okay:

Here is an example of religious bigotry:

Mormons are dishonest. They have more financial corruption than any community. They are always making up stories and shading the truth to suit their personal itnterests. They are so ingrained with defending their sect's fantastic origins at all costs that it's warped any value of truth, any sense that truth is intrinsically important. Don't trust them.

Not religious bigotry:

I don't want somebody to be president who believes something like Joseph Smith saw Jesus or translated gold plates.

I don't want somebody to be president who believes the world is 6,000 years old.

I don't want a biblical creationst to be president.

I can't support Romney because he won't address his religion's racist past and Mormons' self-identify so much with their religion. Does he believe God thinks blacks are "cursed" or not?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Perfect.

In my opinion, bigotry is assuming a member of a group to have characteristics or attributes that are not requisite to being a member of said group.

So, assuming someone is stupid because they're black is bigotry. Refusing to hire a black person for the film role you're casting because the role requires an Asian character is not bigotry.

Similarly, refusing to hire someone to work at your coffee shop because they are a scientologist/raelian/pastafarian is bigotry. Refusing to hire such a person to work in your research lab/think tank/any job that requires critical thinking is common sense.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

I agree with your definition. I think we tend to toss out the "bigotry" term too frequently. It's a knee-jerk reaction.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
Perfect.

In my opinion, bigotry is assuming a member of a group to have characteristics or attributes that are not requisite to being a member of said group.

So, assuming someone is stupid because they're black is bigotry. Refusing to hire a black person for the film role you're casting because the role requires an Asian character is not bigotry.

Similarly, refusing to hire someone to work at your coffee shop because they are a scientologist/raelian/pastafarian is bigotry. Refusing to hire such a person to work in your research lab/think tank/any job that requires critical thinking is common sense.
UNless, of course, your assumed requisites are, in fact, not requisite.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:12 AM   #5
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
UNless, of course, your assumed requisites are, in fact, not requisite.
Indeed, that is true. I assumed that black skin (or at least dark) is requisite to be "black," but that stupidity isn't. I also assumed that a lack of critical thinking skills is requisite to be a scientologist/raelian/whatever, although I acknowledge that many people are actually skilled at compartmentalizing their delusions. Francis Collins is a good example of that. Still, insomuch as they do cling to their irrational beliefs, they lack critical thinking in at least that area of their life, so it's not far fetched to assume the possibility of it spreading into other areas. Some will not agree, and that is where the disagreement over what bigotry is lies.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:18 AM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Indeed, that is true. I assumed that black skin (or at least dark) is requisite to be "black," but that stupidity isn't. I also assumed that a lack of critical thinking skills is requisite to be a scientologist/raelian/whatever, although I acknowledge that many people are actually skilled at compartmentalizing their delusions. Francis Collins is a good example of that. Still, insomuch as they do cling to their irrational beliefs, they lack critical thinking in at least that area of their life, so it's not far fetched to assume the possibility of it spreading into other areas. Some will not agree, and that is where the disagreement over what bigotry is lies.

My point is that your defintion would not avoid the bias of culture.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #7
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
My point is that your defintion would not avoid the bias of culture.
Indeed. I would interpret this as a reason to quit throwing the accusation of bigotry around at every possible opportunity, but others will use it as an excuse to do so even more since it is basically true that bigotry is whatever you want it to be.

Most on here are pretty good about that anyway.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:20 AM   #8
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Here is an example of religious bigotry:

Mormons are dishonest. They have more financial corruption than any community. They are always making up stories and shading the truth to suit their personal itnterests. They are so ingrained with defending their sect's fantastic origins at all costs that it's warped any value of truth, any sense that truth is intrinsically important. Don't trust them.
The fact is this is similar to what most evangelicals believe and teach to their children. It is found in the literature on their shelves outside of classrooms in their churches. Spend five good minutes with anti-mormons at a pageant or outside Temple Square and that it is very similar to what you will hear.

The willingness of a candidate or campaign to captitalize on such ignorance is bigotry at it's worst and it is what the Huckabee campaign is guilty of, and the rest of the Republican party and media has willfully ignored. Live next door to great people who are pentecostal and witness first hand such ingnorance as espoused by their children while playing with your children.

Quote:
I can't support Romney because he won't address his religion's racist past and Mormons' self-identify so much with their religion. Does he believe God thinks blacks are "cursed" or not?
These are excuses not reasons. When will you stand up for what is right and condem the bigoty as opposed to making attemps to deflect blame by placing it on Mormons? Or worse, desperately try to twist the definitions to suit your argument.

Last edited by tooblue; 02-09-2008 at 01:25 AM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #9
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Indeed. I would interpret this as a reason to quit throwing the accusation of bigotry around at every possible opportunity, but others will use it as an excuse to do so even more since it is basically true that bigotry is whatever you want it to be.

Most on here are pretty good about that anyway.
Bigorty is NOT whatever you want it to be. It is, to quote the dictionary, "stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own."

Stubborn and COMPLETE intolerance are the key words -oh the irony. Until Bigotry is universally condemned by all persons on this board there cannot be an enlightened discussion.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

So would this qualify as religious bigotry (From today's USA Today)?

"West Virginia GOP convention delegate Brian Bigelow said on Tuesday he would support 'whoever can defeat Mitt Romney. I don't believe that Bible-believing Christians should take part in the mainstreaming of Mormonism.'"

http://www.usatoday.com/news/politic...-fallout_N.htm
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote