cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I can't believe Romney said this

It's the first quote in the article on CNN announcing that he is suspending his campaign.

Quote:
"In this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign be a part of aiding a surrender to terror. This is not an easy decision. I hate to lose," the former Massachusetts governor said.
As if the future of the United States hinged on whether he would continue his campaign.

Wow. The arrogance is breathtaking.

A man of little charisma and questionable judgement just got "REJECTED" stamped on his forehead.

He tries to go out with class. And fails.

For those of you think he will be a candidate again in '12, he will have to pull the houdini trick of a lifetime. He will have to re-invent himself as someone who doesn't re-invent himself. Good luck with that one Mr. Romney. If you can pull it off, my hat's off to you, and you deserve to be president. I won't be holding my breath.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Oh brother, Mike, you are not this dense. There is no question that had Romney stayed in the race, McCain would've struggled to lock up the nomination sooner. And it's likely conservatives would've only grown progressively sourer and sourer toward McCain (yours truly, included).

Getting out now permits McCain to start the LONG walk of trying to court conservatives while Hillary and Obama beat each other up. Which increases his chance of winning in November (or so conventional wisdom goes).

Quit looking for reasons to whine.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
It's the first quote in the article on CNN announcing that he is suspending his campaign.

As if the future of the United States hinged on whether he would continue his campaign.

A man of little charisma and questionable judgement just got "REJECTED" stamped on his forehead.

For those of you think he will be a candidate again in '12, he will have to pull the houdini trick of a lifetime. He will have to re-invent himself as someone who doesn't re-invent himself. Good luck with that one Mr. Romney. If you can pull it off, my hat's off to you, and you deserve to be president. I won't be holding my breath.
You're the last person that should be making judgments about someone's class.
Maybe even YOU can understand the quote better if you read it in its full context:

Even though we face an uphill fight, I know that many in this room are fully behind my campaign." You are with me all the way to the convention. Fight on, just like Ronald Reagan did in 1976. But there is an important difference from 1976: today... we are a nation at war.

And Barack and Hillary have made their intentions clear regarding Iraq and the war on terror. They would retreat and declare defeat. And the consequence of that would be devastating. It would mean attacks on America, launched from safe havens that make Afghanistan under the Taliban look like child's play. About this, I have no doubt.

I disagree with Senator McCain on a number of issues, as you know. But I agree with him on doing whatever it takes to be successful in Iraq, on finding and executing Osama bin Laden, and on eliminating Al Qaeda and terror. If I fight on in my campaign, all the way to the convention, I would forestall the launch of a national campaign and make it more likely that Senator Clinton or Obama would win. And in this time of war, I simply cannot let my campaign, be a part of aiding a surrender to terror.

This is not an easy decision for me. I hate to lose. My family, my friends and our supporters... many of you right here in this room... have given a great deal to get me where I have a shot at becoming President. If this were only about me, I would go on. But I entered this race because I love America, and because I love America, I feel I must now stand aside, for our party and for our country.

Last edited by NorCal Cat; 02-07-2008 at 06:41 PM.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I started to write a post where I agreed with Tex and Corky but I'm going to go eat a bullet instead. ;-)
Old 02-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #5
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Right--Obama and Clinton would surrender the war on terror and declare defeat.

My respect for Romney just sank lower.
His speech wasn't geared towards gaining your respect. He'd never get your vote anyway.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
His speech wasn't geared towards gaining your respect. He'd never get your vote anyway.
So lying to people who want to be lied to is ok?
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #7
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

Enjoy the TCU game.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
So lying to people who want to be lied to is ok?
Yeah, that's what I said. Sheesh...
Old 02-07-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Right--Obama and Clinton would surrender the war on terror and declare defeat.

My respect for Romney just sank lower.
My respect for him just went higher. Obama is ON RECORD as having NOT supported the war AND for surrendering by pulling out as quickly as possible. Hillary is now also on record in support of a quick withdrawal.

I think it is very courageous of him to bow out now.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, the Americans that think this entire war as been a debacle and boondoggle are wrong?

That's a lot of Americans, btw.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote