cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #1
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default This is a huge night for Obama.

He won 13 states (including Georgia and Missouri which will be big for bragging rights), largely won in the south and midwest, and overall performed better than expected, particularly when compared to expectations of a week ago.

He lost California, which hurts, but the final spread hasn't been revealed. He was almost guaranteed to lose NY and NJ. Mass would have been nice, but it would have taken a huge effort.

To win 13 states (and possibly more) is a big deal. He now has 3 times the cash Clinton has, has a much more manageable calendar ahead of him and primaries in states that are likely to favor him.

Things look good for Obama fans.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Good. I can't stand the Clintons.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
Cali Coug

According to politico.com, Obama now leads the delegate count!!!! If that holds up after California comes in, that is HUGE.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...nt_606534.html
Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I'm glad he's still in the race after today, as he seems to gain the longer he stays in it, so overall today might have been a win for Obama. I'm worried about California, however, as he's getting thrashed there right now and I don't think he can afford to lose today's overall delegate count since he was already behind going in. I'm afraid he might just run out of time. He's almost exactly even from yesterday's close on intrade so no help there.

It is impressive that he won 13 and possibly 14 out of 22 states, but that matters little if those cali votes don't come in.

Edit: the superdelegates are a big problem for Obama as well, since those are going to Clinton in large numbers. I really don't think superdelegates are a good idea.

Last edited by woot; 02-06-2008 at 05:39 AM.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Mexicans aren't going to vote for an uppity black man, no way. If Obama is undone, that will be the reason. Whites and Hispanics banding together to stop the black man.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

It's good to see a year in American elections where every vote is determined by identity politics. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Republicans are religious bigots. Democrats are racists. Great.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #7
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's good to see a year in American elections where every vote is determined by identity politics. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Republicans are religious bigots. Democrats are racists. Great.
Republicans are even more racist than Democrats; they just don't have any opportunity to express it with their votes. I am actually happy with how much of the white vote Obama has gotten. That he gets the vast majority of the black vote doesn't mean those people are racist, since Mormons voted for Romney in greater numbers than any state's blacks voted for Obama.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #8
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I'm glad he's still in the race after today, as he seems to gain the longer he stays in it, so overall today might have been a win for Obama. I'm worried about California, however, as he's getting thrashed there right now and I don't think he can afford to lose today's overall delegate count since he was already behind going in. I'm afraid he might just run out of time. He's almost exactly even from yesterday's close on intrade so no help there.

It is impressive that he won 13 and possibly 14 out of 22 states, but that matters little if those cali votes don't come in.

Edit: the superdelegates are a big problem for Obama as well, since those are going to Clinton in large numbers. I really don't think superdelegates are a good idea.
Remember that superdelegates can change at any time (that is the definition of a superdelegate).
Old 02-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #9
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Remember that superdelegates can change at any time (that is the definition of a superdelegate).
I guess I should read up on that. Can they switch their allegiance willy-nilly?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #10
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I guess I should read up on that. Can they switch their allegiance willy-nilly?
Yep. They are, for the most part, elected officials and prominent party members. They have no obligation to vote for anyone or to pledge their vote to anyone. They can say one thing and do something totally different. However they vote is totally up to them up until the moment when they actually do vote.