cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2007, 04:56 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Next year's defense

has me uhhhhhh a bit concerned shall we say.

If Jan Jorgenson plays DE, the DL will be very good. This assumes that Ian Dulan doesn't go on a mission and that Matangi Tonga is back on the team. If JJ is moved to a hybrid OLB/DE so BYU can go either 4-3 or 3-4 then the DL will be above average when JJ is an OLB.

With the LBs I believe Nixon will be very good next year. I think he will be 100% healthy and will be the best LB in the MWC. Obviously JJ will be a good OLB if he plays there. I see a great deal of decent-above average potential players. I think the inside guys are solid but Doman needs 10 more lbs of muscle and I don't see a potential star out of Doman, Hooks, Nelson and Baumen. I don't see any liabilities, but I am not convinced any can be playmakers of the capability of Kelly Poppinga or Cameron Jensen. It is too bad BYU didn't land fusnik's flat bellied buddy who went to aTm, if he had gone to BYU and redshirted a year I could throw out Misi Tupe as another potentially above average ILB. However, methinks that under Bronco's tutelage Misi wouldn't get winded at 17 situps.

I have no clue what other OLBs will play other than Nixon and potentially Jorgenson. Van Sweden hasn't shown me anything to believe he will even be above average. The JC transfers will not have the experience in the system. That leaves Jadon Wagner and perhaps either Baumen or Nelson doubling both in the middle and on the outside. Perhaps Pendleton will be moved from safety to OLB, especially with the natural ability of the two recruited safeties in Sorenson and Teo. Those two freshman could play next year, IMO. I also understand Gary Nagy is not planning to serve a mission so it seems to me that BYU should have adequate safety depth behind Tafuna and Fowler, especially if Bradley is moved to safety.

The corner situation should be rough next year. The kids are talented, at least by BYU standards, but they lack experience. I believe Howard, Pittman and Brooks will be in the top 4. The other could be Scott Johnson or perhaps Brandon Bradley. That is so little experience beyond that I really hope BYU is looking for a high end JC transfer at cb. Given the fact that BYU graduates 3 of its top 4 corners, I would think BYU should be able to attract at least an adequate JC cb.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #2
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Don't forget Coleby Clawson...the JC LB coming in from Snow.

He's going to be a solid addition. He's quick off the edges and is solid at run containment. He's very good at rushing the QB and I'm excited to add him into the mix.

Also another JC Kid from Snow...Safety Andrew Rich, is meeting with Bronco Mendenhall today and I wouldn't be surprised that if the kid is offered that he accepts on the spot, but we'll see.

As for starting corners...the reason why you don't see BYU Coaches pursuing JC Corners like they have in the past, is simply because they feel like they finally have enough talent there to not do so.

G Pittman and Howard will be the starters unless something crazy or unforeseen happens.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Don't forget Coleby Clawson...the JC LB coming in from Snow.

He's going to be a solid addition. He's quick off the edges and is solid at run containment. He's very good at rushing the QB and I'm excited to add him into the mix.

Also another JC Kid from Snow...Safety Andrew Rich, is meeting with Bronco Mendenhall today and I wouldn't be surprised that if the kid is offered that he accepts on the spot, but we'll see.

As for starting corners...the reason why you don't see BYU Coaches pursuing JC Corners like they have in the past, is simply because they feel like they finally have enough talent there to not do so.

G Pittman and Howard will be the starters unless something crazy or unforeseen happens.

JC kids struggle at BYU under Bronco in their first year. They are just not physically prepared when they arrive. I am not expecting anything from Clawson, Moala or Rich next year.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #4
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Haven't the last two seasons supplied you with enough erectile material to help you get through such moments of doubt?

Last edited by Indy Coug; 12-12-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
A-Train

A-Train is on a distinguished road

I think the D will be better next year because of two reasons. 1 the DL is going to be scary good. JJ will stay at his current position and Brett Denny returns along with Russell T. Then add Hola and the possible return of Matangi Tonga plus the depth with Wolfley, Foketi, and others and the line will be stacked. 2. Talent in the secondary is better than it has been in years.

The LB Corp will be younger but does not lack experience. Nixon will only get better, and the guys in the middle... Doman, Bauman, and Hooks have the tools and plenty of playing experience so I don't see the drop off. You are right that Doman does need to gain 10-15 lbs. The other side most likely will be filled by Colby Clawson out of Snow who was a 1st team JC All American and has a motor that just doesn't quit. There is also Grant Nelson who played this year as a freshman and will be stud in the future. There is some uncertainty on star power here but the talent and depth is there to continue with what we have done.

I think our DBs are in the best position they have been in years. We finally have the athletes to instill a more aggressive defense if need be. Howard has playing experience as well as Tafuna and Fowler. Throw in Pittman, Bradley, and Brooks in the mix and it will be just a matter of playing time but Jaime Hill has proved what he can do as the ??s were more glaring on our 06' sqaud than our 08' squad.

Our team is going to be scary good over the next two years and I can totally see us busting the BCS. The future is very bright for our program.

Last edited by A-Train; 12-12-2007 at 05:18 PM.
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
RockyBalboa

I will say regarding Brett Denney.....the last few games of the year he came on very strong and was making more plays than Ian Dulan was.

If Dulan leaves on his mission, I'm not one bit worried.

In fact...even if he doesn't, I still think Denney ends up being the other starter opposite Jan Jorgensen on the ends.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #7
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

If Jan Jorgenson plays DE, the DL will be very good. This assumes that Ian Dulan doesn't go on a mission and that Matangi Tonga is back on the team. If JJ is moved to a hybrid OLB/DE so BYU can go either 4-3 or 3-4 then the DL will be above average when JJ is an OLB.

With the LBs I believe Nixon will be very good next year. I think he will be 100% healthy and will be the best LB in the MWC. Obviously JJ will be a good OLB if he plays there. I see a great deal of decent-above average potential players. I think the inside guys are solid but Doman needs 10 more lbs of muscle and I don't see a potential star out of Doman, Hooks, Nelson and Baumen. I don't see any liabilities, but I am not convinced any can be playmakers of the capability of Kelly Poppinga or Cameron Jensen. It is too bad BYU didn't land fusnik's flat bellied buddy who went to aTm, if he had gone to BYU and redshirted a year I could throw out Misi Tupe as another potentially above average ILB. However, methinks that under Bronco's tutelage Misi wouldn't get winded at 17 situps.

I have no clue what other OLBs will play other than Nixon and potentially Jorgenson. Van Sweden hasn't shown me anything to believe he will even be above average. The JC transfers will not have the experience in the system. That leaves Jadon Wagner and perhaps either Baumen or Nelson doubling both in the middle and on the outside. Perhaps Pendleton will be moved from safety to OLB, especially with the natural ability of the two recruited safeties in Sorenson and Teo. Those two freshman could play next year, IMO. I also understand Gary Nagy is not planning to serve a mission so it seems to me that BYU should have adequate safety depth behind Tafuna and Fowler, especially if Bradley is moved to safety.

The corner situation should be rough next year. The kids are talented, at least by BYU standards, but they lack experience. I believe Howard, Pittman and Brooks will be in the top 4. The other could be Scott Johnson or perhaps Brandon Bradley. That is so little experience beyond that I really hope BYU is looking for a high end JC transfer at cb. Given the fact that BYU graduates 3 of its top 4 corners, I would think BYU should be able to attract at least an adequate JC cb.
Is there talk about moving JJ to OLB? That seems crazy to me. Nixon and Kehl spent more time in pass coverage than rushing the QB on pass downs last year. JJ was listed at 6'3 260 last year. Is there talk about moving him to LB?

I think Jensen and Poppinga were system MLB's and not much better. I don't have any concern at all that Doman and/or Baumann will develop into the same kind of player. I would not be surprised if Doman turns out better than both Jensen and Poppinga and would be moderately surprised if he turned out significantly worse.

I don't think there's anything about Bronco's system that excludes JC players. Leut and Jensen did great. If the JC player is not good, he won't play. If he's good, he will. We don't know if these JC guys are any good until we get them in camp.

Front seven should be great. I'm greatly concerned about the secondary.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #8
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Rumor has it that Bradley still isn't running well. He has lost his smoothness and speed. If he can finish recovering we might see him at corner but at this point, G Pittman and Howard will be the starters. Bradley will move to Safety if he doesn't get his wheels back. On a side note, he didn't go to SDSU with the team because he got married.

Pendleton is a freak of nature and weighs about 235 now but is still running like a safety. If that is true, we might see him at OLB. Safety speed, OLB size, can you say scary?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Pendleton is a freak of nature and weighs about 235 now but is still running like a safety. If that is true, we might see him at OLB. Safety speed, OLB size, can you say scary?
I hope Pendleton stays at Safety if he hasn't lost any speed. I would love to see a safety that size taking care of the middle of the field.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
Rumor has it that Bradley still isn't running well. He has lost his smoothness and speed. If he can finish recovering we might see him at corner but at this point, G Pittman and Howard will be the starters. Bradley will move to Safety if he doesn't get his wheels back. On a side note, he didn't go to SDSU with the team because he got married.

Bradley has already been prepped by coaches that a move to Safety is likely on the horizon.