cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 02:44 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Bronco on scheduling

“Army was my idea.” He wanted to give the kids a positive off the field experience.

questioning the value of playing tough games in today's BCS world: "Is there any value in playing a game that might provide a challenge to you in non conference if you need to be undefeated to make BCS game?"

on the BCS games scheduled through 2012: "I won’t break contracts that we have set with those opponents, but I guess my philosophy is a little bit different."

Wrubell took this as Bronco meaning he wants to dumb down the schedule and argued with him, telling him they’d be in the BCS with one loss this year.

few days later after SDSU game Wrubell asked Bronco again telling him if he's changed his mind at all on scheduling since they were almost going to make BCS with two losses and certainly would with one loss even without a difficult schedule...

"With Nevada’s breach of contract, I don’t intend to schedule up in that game, I intend to schedule down as it’s been proven that you will be rewarded by number of wins and not strength of schedule."

"I’ve inherited two BCS games a year through 2012 and I won’t cancel those…when those are up I’ll look at it again… " implying we can basically forget about adding any more BCS games to the schedule and if any gets canceled, we'll go the easy way.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:56 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Link?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Link?
ksl.com

Listen to his interviews with Wrubell over the last week.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, if they go down from two BCS per year, I'm not sure I even care about BYU football anymore.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Wow, if they go down from two BCS per year, I'm not sure I even care about BYU football anymore.
Let me add a caveat--if BYU is not in a BCS conference by 2012, it may not matter anyway. The death march has already started, and people like Holmoe just don't get it.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
jay santos

I blame Holmoe. No vision. No balls. Did he even hire Rose and Bronco? I don't even know whose decision it was, but I doubt it was Holmoe's. Now that we have the coaches in place, they create the vision for their respective programs and do the scheduling themselves. That's why the two strategies are divergent.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I hope guys like BYU71 go ballistic to Holmoe about the implication that we may go to less than 2 BCS games per year.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope Bronco plans on winning these games we scheduled down for. It seems odd to discuss lowering the bar the same season we lost to Tulsa.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I blame Holmoe. No vision. No balls. Did he even hire Rose and Bronco? I don't even know whose decision it was, but I doubt it was Holmoe's. Now that we have the coaches in place, they create the vision for their respective programs and do the scheduling themselves. That's why the two strategies are divergent.
Holmoe wasn't hired to be an independent thinker, he was hired to be a company man. I blame the company for not wanting innovative ADs.

Winning is indeed important but Bronco needs to mix it up between winning and important intersectional games of interest. I don't care about games against EWU, but games against Florida State interest me. The conference games are barely watchable. My insane interest in BYU is all that keeps me watching. If it continues at this rate, the only games of interest will be, BCS games, Air Force, TCU and Utah.

I don't give a damn about Utah State, Division IAA, WAC games, or anything else. Bronco may be a great coach, but that doesn't mean he knows marketing. Because I'm not sold on his marketing skills.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I hope Bronco plans on winning these games we scheduled down for. It seems odd to discuss lowering the bar the same season we lost to Tulsa.
What I'd like to pound in everyone's head is that you don't go undefeated because you schedule easy. You go undefeated because you're a damn good team. If you're a damn good team you'll go undefeated against crap schedule, maybe a loss against a two BCS schedule, and maybe a couple losses with a loaded up schedule. All three will get you in the BCS.

Being a damn good team gets you in the BCS. SOS is irrelevant.