cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Raising Sand

So I bought and began listening to "Raising Sand" by Allison Krause and Robert Plant. Be advised it is more Krause than Plant, very folksy and no Page guitarring.

If you like Krause, you might like it, but if you were looking for a Zep revival.

Also I introduced Joshua Tree to my son, who found it interesting. He liked Rush and he's ambivalent about old Skynard. What other U2 stuff is worth it? Achtung Baby, is that worth it?

I don't know I suppose I just get a mega IPOD and just download gigas of music.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
So I bought and began listening to "Raising Sand" by Allison Krause and Robert Plant. Be advised it is more Krause than Plant, very folksy and no Page guitarring.

If you like Krause, you might like it, but if you were looking for a Zep revival.

Also I introduced Joshua Tree to my son, who found it interesting. He liked Rush and he's ambivalent about old Skynard. What other U2 stuff is worth it? Achtung Baby, is that worth it?

I don't know I suppose I just get a mega IPOD and just download gigas of music.
This absolutely bizarre pairing makes it almost worth a listen as a novelty alone. I am not a fan of nashville twang, so unless you give it a glowing recommendation, I doubt I would bother. It sounds like so far, you arent that high on it.

At what age did you start introducing your kids to your music? I have been doing it with my ddd's since birth, and can already see that they have developed an appreciation and excitement for tunes. They ask for music when we get in the car, when they are in the bath, when they are in their beds reading, or even when they are working part-time sewing shoes together for Nike. They love their music.

If you are serious about introducing your son to U2, better to start earlier with War or Boy, no?

I am not sure I could subject my children to Rush. Maybe if they were exceptionally disobedient or if I caught them playing with a Ouija Board or something.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
This absolutely bizarre pairing makes it almost worth a listen as a novelty alone. I am not a fan of nashville twang, so unless you give it a glowing recommendation, I doubt I would bother. It sounds like so far, you arent that high on it.

At what age did you start introducing your kids to your music? I have been doing it with my ddd's since birth, and can already see that they have developed an appreciation and excitement for tunes. They ask for music when we get in the car, when they are in the bath, when they are in their beds reading, or even when they are working part-time sewing shoes together for Nike. They love their music.

If you are serious about introducing your son to U2, better to start earlier with War or Boy, no?

I am not sure I could subject my children to Rush. Maybe if they were exceptionally disobedient or if I caught them playing with a Ouija Board or something.
My son likes Rush due to the heavy guitar, and Getty Lee's voice grows on you. "Working Man" or "2112"? You have no taste, it is clear.

Last couple of years when rock interested my kids.

The Raising Sand is okay but not what I had expected. I wanted more Zep less Krauss. I haven't made it all the way through.

I'm not a big U2 fan but thought my children's introduction should be thorough.

We even listened to Joe Walsh's "Life's been Good" or whatever it's called. I laugh ever time I listen to it.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #4
TripletDaddy

Quote:
My son likes Rush due to the heavy guitar, and Getty Lee's voice grows on you. "Working Man" or "2112"? You have no taste, it is clear.

Last couple of years when rock interested my kids.

The Raising Sand is okay but not what I had expected. I wanted more Zep less Krauss. I haven't made it all the way through.

I'm not a big U2 fan but thought my children's introduction should be thorough.

We even listened to Joe Walsh's "Life's been Good" or whatever it's called. I laugh ever time I listen to it.
Oh, I have taste. I event went to see Rush recently. Havent you seen my pics I took at the Rush concert a couple of months ago? I can post them if you wish.

I dont like U2, either, but it seems their earlier stuff (War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua) is better than some of their more recent stuff.

I agree that Getty Lee's voice definitely grows on you.....kind of like a fungus that continues to grow between your toes despite the best efforts to extricate it. Nothing short of a chemical scrub can cleanse you. Fly by Night! Fly by Night!

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Oh, I have taste. I event went to see Rush recently. Havent you seen my pics I took at the Rush concert a couple of months ago? I can post them if you wish.

I dont like U2, either, but it seems their earlier stuff (War, Boy, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua) is better than some of their more recent stuff.

I agree that Getty Lee's voice definitely grows on you.....kind of like a fungus that continues to grow between your toes despite the best efforts to extricate it. Nothing short of a chemical scrub can cleanse you. Fly by Night! Fly by Night!

Well given your avatar infringement on Creekster's Gibbon the Ape-Monkey, your lack of taste is already quite evident.

I wouldn't recommend listening to new Rush stuff, but reading the lyrics is fun.

Some of the stuff in Raising Sand where you can hear Plant, is fine but I didn't realize it was Krause trying to make money off Plant's good name. There's actually a country sounding song on it. Yuck.

Next thing one knows, we'll hear the Dixie Chunks have hooked up with Jimmy Page, Eddie Money and Eric Clapton.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I am proud to say that the Lebowski kids are experts on classic rock. Especially son #2. He can name just about any artist by listening to the song for a few seconds. Lately I have been training him to discern between Sammy Hagar-Van Halen and DLR-Van Halen (just wait for the little high-pitched squeals).
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:32 PM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Well given your avatar infringement on Creekster's Gibbon the Ape-Monkey, your lack of taste is already quite evident.

I wouldn't recommend listening to new Rush stuff, but reading the lyrics is fun.

Some of the stuff in Raising Sand where you can hear Plant, is fine but I didn't realize it was Krause trying to make money off Plant's good name. There's actually a country sounding song on it. Yuck.

Next thing one knows, we'll hear the Dixie Chunks have hooked up with Jimmy Page, Eddie Money and Eric Clapton.
Come on. Krause is more bluegrass than country.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
TripletDaddy

Quote:

I just want everyone here to know that I am ashamed that the Dixie Chicks are from the USA....

Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #9
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Come on. Krause is more bluegrass than country.
It's still cousins from the back country. Country, western and bluegrass. If you're drinking moonshine, you might go down okay, but once you awaken and listen to the crooning, you think, what are they trying to do. I haven't made it through the entire CD yet. Song number 4 is okay, but 5 is downright bluegrass.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
TripletDaddy

Quote:
That is my ddd's doing.

They love Little Creekster.

Who doesnt love Creekster? How can you fault me for that?