cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 AM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best Courtroom Movies

12 Angry Men
To Kill a Mockingbird
A Few Good Men
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:37 AM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Kramer v. Kramer

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

I like The Verdict and Absense of Malice -- especially that scene with Wilford Brimley:

"I think I know where we're headed here. Before we get there, I want to say something to you. You know and I know that we can't tell you what to print or what not to. We hope the press will act responsibly, but when you don't, there ain't a lot we can do about it. We can't have people going around leaking stuff for their own reasons. It ain't legal. And worse than that, by God, it ain't right...Mr Gallagher I seem to want to ask if you set all this up. If I do, you ain't gonna tell me, are you?"
"No."
"I'll tell you something, you're a smart fella. Don't get too smart. I'm pretty smart myself."
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I like The Verdict and Absense of Malice -- especially that scene with Wilford Brimley:

"I think I know where we're headed here. Before we get there, I want to say something to you. You know and I know that we can't tell you what to print or what not to. We hope the press will act responsibly, but when you don't, there ain't a lot we can do about it. We can't have people going around leaking stuff for their own reasons. It ain't legal. And worse than that, by God, it ain't right...Mr Gallagher I seem to want to ask if you set all this up. If I do, you ain't gonna tell me, are you?"
"No."
"I'll tell you something, you're a smart fella. Don't get too smart. I'm pretty smart myself."
From you I expected Body of Evidence.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
From you I expected Body of Evidence.
It's my experience that any movie with the word "body" in its title, is usually worth seeing. Point in case, has there ever been a better movie made than "Body Heat"?
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:25 AM   #6
SeattleUte

Quote:
It's my experience that any movie with the word "body" in its title, is usually worth seeing. Point in case, has there ever been a better movie made than "Body Heat"?
Yes, that is a great one.

—Paul Auster
Old 10-08-2007, 02:20 AM   #7
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

My Cousin Vinnie
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:30 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
My Cousin Vinnie
"Ute? What's a Ute?"
Old 10-08-2007, 03:08 AM   #9
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I like The Verdict and Absense of Malice --
The Verdict is my favorite...

A couple of great scenes:

Mickey Morrissey: [Mickey is trying to convince Frank not to take the case to trial] Do you know who the attorney for the Archdiocese is? Ed Concannon!

Frank Galvin: He's a good man...

Mickey Morrissey: He's a good man? Heh, heh, he's the Prince of f'ing Darkness! He'll have people testifying they saw her waterskiing in Marblehead last summer. Now look, Frank, don't *f' with this case!

--------------------------
Ed Concannon: I know how you feel. You don't believe me, but I do know. I'm going to tell you something that I learned when I was your age. I'd prepared a case and old man White said to me, "How did you do?" And, uh, I said, "Did my best." And he said, "You're not paid to do your best. You're paid to win." And that's what pays for this office... pays for the pro bono work that we do for the poor... pays for the type of law that you want to practice... pays for my whiskey... pays for your clothes... pays for the leisure we have to sit back and discuss philosophy as we're doing tonight. We're paid to win the case. You finished your marriage. You wanted to come back and practice the law. You wanted to come back to the world. Welcome back.

--------------------------

[Judge Hoyle is speaking with Concannon and Galvin about the case]
Judge Hoyle: Frank, what would you and your client take - right now, this very minute - to walk out of here, let this damn thing drop?
Frank Galvin: My client can't walk, your honor.
Judge Hoyle: I know full well she can't, Frank. You see the padre on your way out; he'll punch your ticket... you follow me?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Primal Fear.

IMO, Ed Norton's best work. He was awesome.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote