cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road
Default Opening prayer today

A brother in our ward went up to say the opening prayer in F&T meeting today and he said something like this:

"And we are thankful for this Memorial Day weekend where we can remember our deceased ancestors. Please help us to also remember all those who have fought for our freedom..."

He went on for at least a minute about Memorial Day. There were suppressed giggles all over the chapel.

Poor guy. I felt sorry for him. You should have seen his face when he sat down and his wife whispered in his ear.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:49 AM   #2
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to recall in a stake priesthood session a year or two ago that the person giving the benediction asked for a blessing upon President Kimball. In fact that may have been general conference.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #3
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

That's why I always stick to the basics in a prayer and never mention a name, even home teaching a family I've known for years, because I don't want to say something completely stupid.

I had to share the JL's with my wife and she reminded me of an opening prayer in Eugene a couple of years ago where this lady gets up to pray (right after Thanksgiving) and in the middle of the prayer says, presumably to God, "I have to share a story." She then goes on about her son serving in Kuwait in 90 and someone sent his batallion a small Christmas tree and how it reminded him so much of Oregon. She then said she was very thankful for those who shared the trees and she was thankful for trees. This was one of those 5-minute prayers and everyone was left wondering what had just happened.

Ahhhh, Eugene....

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
TheAzzuri

TheAzzuri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I seem to recall in a stake priesthood session a year or two ago that the person giving the benediction asked for a blessing upon President Kimball. In fact that may have been general conference.
That was general conference, priesthood session I believe. I was at that session and it made me laugh to see a couple of the apostles razz him a little afterwards.
________
Milf French

Last edited by TheAzzuri; 05-06-2011 at 11:48 PM.
TheAzzuri is offline   Reply With Quote