cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 04:34 AM   #1
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road
Default Bar Code

Sorry to bring up the bar codes again. It's just that I just got my bar code on Sunday, and I'm wondering if they're going to know how often I attend the temple. Anyone know anything about this?

I don't want them to put me in a bishopric when they see how quietly diligent I am about my temple work.

Also, will it register as attendance if I pass security and then leave immediately? I'm already considering ways to beat the system. I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
SoonerCoug
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:35 AM   #2
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Bar code? Don't you mean mark of the beast?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:36 AM   #3
SoonerCoug

I think I wasn't clear.

I'm not planning on abusing the system personally (passing the scanners and then leaving immediately). I was just wondering if someone could pull this off, theoretically. If Church leaders don't have access to attendance information, then it's no longer a concern.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:36 AM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Sorry to bring up the bar codes again. It's just that I just got my bar code on Sunday, and I'm wondering if they're going to know how often I attend the temple. Anyone know anything about this?

I don't want them to put me in a bishopric because when they see who quietly diligent I am about my temple work.

Also, will it register as attendance if I pass security and then leave immediately? I'm already considering ways to beat the system. I appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,
SoonerCoug
This question has been answered a dozen times. I can guarantee there is no individual tracking going on at at least the ward or stake level, and I'll be willing to bet there's none church-wide.

Could the data perhaps be used in the aggregate to gauge how busy a temple is, and at which times? Yes, possibly. But I don't know what new information that would give them ... they already track that kind of information as it is.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:37 AM   #5
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This question has been answered a dozen times. I can guarantee there is no individual tracking going on at at least the ward or stake level, and I'll be willing to bet there's none church-wide.

Could the data perhaps be used in the aggregate to gauge how busy a temple is, and at which times? Yes, possibly. But I don't know what new information that would give them ... they already track that kind of information as it is.
I think it's likely that it would be used to track individual members.

They used to mark the recommends with a pen each time you entered the temple, and local leaders always looked at this information.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 AM   #6
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

The bar code gives the leadership the ability to track attendance at those temples using the bar code sysytem (and not all are currently using it nor will they in the near future) but there is currently no plan or adminsitrative system in place to collect this information, as I understand it.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:45 AM   #7
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The bar code gives the leadership the ability to track attendance at those temples using the bar code sysytem (and not all are currently using it nor will they in the near future) but there is currently no plan or adminsitrative system in place to collect this information, as I understand it.
I wonder if a rogue temple president could hack the system to pad his or her statistics.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #8
SoonerCoug

Quote:
I wonder if a rogue temple president could hack the system to pad his or her statistics.
I meant his. I forgot the Church was patriarchal for a moment there.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I think it's likely that it would be used to track individual members.

They used to mark the recommends with a pen each time you entered the temple, and local leaders always looked at this information.
There's no denying that the information could hypothetically someday be available, were the system in place (as creekster indicates). But it's not. I've talked to a couple of stake clerks, not to mention our own ward clerk, who have said multiple times there are NO reports of that information.

I can't imagine the Brethren thinking much good could come of individually reporting members' attendance, especially since you have no idea what they're doing there anyway (or how long they stayed). By way of example, when I move and switch wards, my tithing payments in the 1st ward don't carry over to the 2nd. When I go to tithing settlement, all the bishop has in front of him is payments made to his ward--and if I say it's a full tithe, then he has to accept it.

There's just no evidence the church is interested in using this information to put screws on folks.

Last edited by Tex; 08-28-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:51 AM   #10
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
There's no denying that the information could hypothetically someday be available, were the system in place (as creekster indicates). But it's not. I've talked to a couple of stake clerks, not to mention our own ward clerk, who have said multiple times there are reports of that information.

I can't imagine the Brethren thinking much good could come of individually reporting members' attendance, especially since you have no idea what they're doing there anyway (or how long they stayed). By way of example, when I move and switch wards, my tithing payments in the 1st ward don't carry over to the 2nd. When I go to tithing settlement, all the bishop has in front of him is payments made to his ward--and if I say it's a full tithe, then he has to accept it.

There's just no evidence the church is interested in using this information to put screws on folks.
I agree. I'm just being cynical for a moment.

Every system has its flaws. I'm trying to look at this from multiple angles.

Our ward clerk told me it was because of counterfeit recommends.