cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2007, 03:01 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who plays chess?

I've decided to sharpen the minds of my boys by teaching them this game, one I haven't played in thirty years.

Anybody play?
Old 08-26-2007, 04:03 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I no longer play after being put in my place by an 8 year old kid that I coached in baseball. He wasn't much of a baseball player, but he was the top ranked 8 year old kid in the state of Utah at the time. He skipped the last week of the baseball season to compete in a national chess tournament where he ended up finishing in the Top 40.

He beat me in about 6 or 7 moves. I put him in right field.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:17 AM   #3
Parrot Head

Parrot Head is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I no longer play after being put in my place by an 8 year old kid that I coached in baseball. He wasn't much of a baseball player, but he was the top ranked 8 year old kid in the state of Utah at the time. He skipped the last week of the baseball season to compete in a national chess tournament where he ended up finishing in the Top 40.

He beat me in about 6 or 7 moves. I put him in right field.
Shoulda put him in at catcher with your worst pitcher on the mound so he'd be flailing around the backstop all day. (But didn't you say your kid was a pretty good 2?)

- Bronco, when asked how to describe PH
Parrot Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:30 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot Head View Post
Shoulda put him in at catcher with your worst pitcher on the mound so he'd be flailing around the backstop all day. (But didn't you say your kid was a pretty good 2?)

We were playing a team of ringers that was hand picked by the coaches and the batters were all good enough that the ball would never get hit to right field.

Well, my boy wouldn't have allowed me to put him at the 2, because that's where my boy played that year. Besides, this particular chess player was afraid of the ball and the ball would have been going to the backstop anyway.

I've heard this kid has continued his pursuit of chess and is kicking butt and taking names. Good for him. I wouldn't want to think about playing against him now.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I'm okay. I played a lot of chess while on my mission, but that was a while ago. I never bothered to learn all the "win in 3 moves" strategies, so I'm really vulnerable to them.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
I'm okay. I played a lot of chess while on my mission, but that was a while ago. I never bothered to learn all the "win in 3 moves" strategies, so I'm really vulnerable to them.
The most humbling thing about chess is when an 8 year old kid looks at you after you make only your 2nd move and asks "Do you really want to do that?"

Old 08-26-2007, 04:51 AM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I've played and got pretty good at it, but it's been years since I've played.
Old 08-26-2007, 05:28 AM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I've decided to sharpen the minds of my boys by teaching them this game, one I haven't played in thirty years.

Anybody play?
I never played until about five years ago, and then really got into Yahoo chess. I was really into it for a few years, but haven't played much in a while. I came to love chess, though. Great game. I was good enough to string an old Russian guy playing for money at a NYC park out about 30 moves before bowing out.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:43 PM   #9
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been a member of the U.S. Chess Federation for 10 years.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #10
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

When I was on my mission, we were hanging out with the Air Force CAT team, our entire zone.

Anyway, one of the air force guys asks if anyone plays chess. Someone volunteers me, because I am undefeated against my companions (I taught them how to play).

So I play this guy, and he quickly has the upper hand. And he beats me roundly. He tells me that was ranked "eighth in Europe in the armed services". Or something like that.

So one of the other elders volunteers to play him, one of the Wyoming boys. Quiet guy.

They sit there intensely, and the elder beats him. Turns out this elder started a chess club at his high school (I am a casual player who hasn't played much or studied strategy).

That was pretty awesome.

I suck. But I'm sure I would beat Rocky.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote