cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Bob Millet on grace

“Too often we think of grace as the little cherry on top that is the last little step in our path to perfection.”

Tex, when I hear you use the word atonement, this comes to my mind. Am I being unfair?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
“Too often we think of grace as the little cherry on top that is the last little step in our path to perfection.”

Tex, when I hear you use the word atonement, this comes to my mind. Am I being unfair?
So our works are the little cherry on top that is the last little step in our path to perfection, then.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
So our works are the little cherry on top that is the last little step in our path to perfection, then.
that's what SE Robinson says.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
that's what SE Robinson says.
Hmm.

I guess the problem is that our works seem so huge in the life. There are tons of commandments to keep, service we need to do, callings we need to magnify, families we need to righteously preside over... it can get overwhelming.

To say these things are almost nothing seems hard to grasp, I think.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #5
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Hmm.

I guess the problem is that our works seem so huge in the life. There are tons of commandments to keep, service we need to do, callings we need to magnify, families we need to righteously preside over... it can get overwhelming.

That pretty much sums it up, methinks. "Here, do all of these things and devote yourself entirely to obeying the commandments. Your entire life is a pittance of what is necessary to earn Eternal Life, of course, but even if it is essentially irrelevant, you're required to give it anyway."

It is hard to correctly describe the significance of grace without diminishing the importance of works.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hmm.

This reminds me of King Benjamin's sermon in Mosiah 2.

Quote:
21 I say unto you that if ye should aserve him who has created you from the beginning, and is bpreserving you from day to day, by lending you cbreath, that ye may live and move and do according to your own dwill, and even supporting you from one moment to another—I say, if ye should serve him with all your ewhole souls yet ye would be funprofitable servants.

22 And behold, all that he arequires of you is to bkeep his commandments; and he has cpromised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth dvary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do ekeep his fcommandments he doth bless you and prosper you.

23 And now, in the first place, he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.

24 And secondly, he doth arequire that ye should do as he hath commanded you; for which if ye do, he doth immediately bbless you; and therefore he hath paid you. And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be, forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?

25 And now I ask, can ye say aught of yourselves? I answer you, Nay. Ye cannot say that ye are even as much as the dust of the earth; yet ye were acreated of the bdust of the earth; but behold, it cbelongeth to him who created you.
This is certainly difficult for our mortal minds to comprehend.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Yes, you are being unfair. I think grace is hugely underemphasized in Mormon culture.

Witness, for example, my inversion of Mike Waters "ladder" analogy. (I'll say here, I'm not a big fan of the ladder analogy, in general).

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...17&postcount=2
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #8
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
This reminds me of King Benjamin's sermon in Mosiah 2.

This is certainly difficult for our mortal minds to comprehend.
Is it just difficult to comprehend, or are we unwilling to accept emotionally that we are crap and what we do is miniscule?

After trying meagerly to comprehend a scintilla of the eternities, I've realized we're crap, and emotionally I can comprehend that whatever I do is virtually meaningless to anybody but myself.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
JohnnyLingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Is it just difficult to comprehend, or are we unwilling to accept emotionally that we are crap and what we do is miniscule?

After trying meagerly to comprehend a scintilla of the eternities, I've realized we're crap, and emotionally I can comprehend that whatever I do is virtually meaningless to anybody but myself.
I am a child of God, and he has sent me here.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am a child of God, and he has sent me here.
So?

His children die all the time and nobody notices.