cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road
Default The Sacrament Meeting Rest Hymn

I have a question for all of you out there... what do you think of standing during the Sacrament Meeting rest hymn? Personally I hate it. The meeting is only an hour long (and while I hate meetings) I find no good reason to stand during this hymn. In fact, I think it causes more harm than does good. It seems like it takes away from the whole spirit of the meeting, or wakes me up.... who needs it. Children get all restless, because they think the meeting is over and then have to sit back down. Plus I find it annoying that the chorister does that thing with his/her hands to ask the audience to rise. I mean, I am not in the choir... we haven't practiced this, lets not act like this is going to be in unison. If we are going to stand for this hymn, why not all hymns? I think everyone sings better standing up anyway..... why this hymn in the middle of an hour an ten minute meeting. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I don't know if this is a Mormon urban legend, but I heard there isn't even supposed to be a "rest hymn" during Sacrament. Rest being a hymn where the congregation stands. I heard "rest hymns" are only for meetings two hours or more (i.e. conference, general priesthood, etc.) I know this is a dumb subject, but I get annoyed every Sunday when it happens, and I was wondering if I was in the minority on this. We had great speakers today, and the music was good as well.... but the whole standing things causes such a commotion.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not a big fan of standing, but our ward usually has special musical numbers instead of a congregation-wide rest hymn.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
I have a question for all of you out there... what do you think of standing during the Sacrament Meeting rest hymn? Personally I hate it. The meeting is only an hour long (and while I hate meetings) I find no good reason to stand during this hymn. In fact, I think it causes more harm than does good. It seems like it takes away from the whole spirit of the meeting, or wakes me up.... who needs it. Children get all restless, because they think the meeting is over and then have to sit back down. Plus I find it annoying that the chorister does that thing with his/her hands to ask the audience to rise. I mean, I am not in the choir... we haven't practiced this, lets not act like this is going to be in unison. If we are going to stand for this hymn, why not all hymns? I think everyone sings better standing up anyway..... why this hymn in the middle of an hour an ten minute meeting. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I don't know if this is a Mormon urban legend, but I heard there isn't even supposed to be a "rest hymn" during Sacrament. Rest being a hymn where the congregation stands. I heard "rest hymns" are only for meetings two hours or more (i.e. conference, general priesthood, etc.) I know this is a dumb subject, but I get annoyed every Sunday when it happens, and I was wondering if I was in the minority on this. We had great speakers today, and the music was good as well.... but the whole standing things causes such a commotion.
If you sit in the back of the chapel, the rest hymn is your chance to take off with little to no conspicuousness. When everyone stands, stand and leave.

Simple.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
dallas dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If you sit in the back of the chapel, the rest hymn is your chance to take off with little to no conspicuousness. When everyone stands, stand and leave.

Simple.
I am moving to murray.... your my kind of guy.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

This poses an interesting option. After the partaking of the sacrament, we could have a five minute rest hymn where the less interested could depart and mingle with friends while the remnants could listen to the talks prepared.

As my friends and I have always viewed it, everything past the sacrament is optional and surplusage. We actually had some talks today where people didn't fall asleep right away.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Intermediate hymn is not the same as rest hymn.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I believe the correct term (as Lingo notes) is "intermediate" hymn. Leaders are discouraged from using the term "rest" hymn.

The handbook states that the post-sacrament portion of the meeting is to be occupied by "gospel messages, congregational singing, and special musical selections." The hymnal itself says, "an intermediate hymn provides an opportunity for congregational participation and may relate to the subject of the talks presented in the meeting. The congregation may stand during the hymn as appropriate." (Hymns, p. 380)

I don't begrudge you your opinion, but the complaint seems a little petty, IMO. I couldn't care less, up or down. However, I have heard specific instruction from an apostle that you are not to stand for opening and closing hymns, but when in doubt, follow the lead of the presiding authority (meaning priesthood, not the chorister, who should also follow his lead).

Last edited by Tex; 08-19-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #8
dallas dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I believe the correct term (as Lingo notes) is "intermediate" hymn. Leaders are discouraged from using the term "rest" hymn.

The handbook states that the post-sacrament portion of the meeting is to be occupied by "gospel messages, congregational singing, and special musical selections." The hymnal itself says, "an intermediate hymn provides an opportunity for congregational participation and may relate to the subject of the talks presented in the meeting. The congregation may stand during the hymn as appropriate." (Hymns, p. 380)

I don't begrudge you your opinion, but the complaint seems a little petty, IMO. I couldn't care less, up or down. However, I have heard specific instruction from an apostle that you are not to stand for opening and closing hymns, but when in doubt, follow the lead of the presiding authority (meaning priesthood, not the chorister, who should also follow his lead).
No doubt it is petty, which I admitted in the original post. As for your point about the presiding authority... I highly doubt the bishopric would remain seated if the rest of the congregation was standing, even if it was "policy" to do so. Can you imagine the bishopric sitting in protest? That would be awesome! Actually, I think my bishop sleeps through the intermediate hymn most of the time.

Thanks for breaking out the church handbook on this. I will know where to go if I have further questions. BTW... considering you have a handbook suggests you are, or have been in leadership.... don't you have better things to do than post on a message board on a Sunday.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

This will sound totally dorky, but on my mission I made a vow to always stand when singing We'll Bring The World His Truth (aka Army of Helaman). The song is uncommon in Sacrament Meeting but has been in two of them since then and once in a stake Priesthood meeting. By the end of the song, 90% of the congregation followed my lead.

If y'all start doing the same, by all means we'll say it's a CougarGuard cult thing.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 PM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I am moving to murray.... your my kind of guy.
Move on in - there are a couple of houses for sale in the ward boundaries. And if you have kids, that would make a good thing better. The Farm Hill Ward needs more youngsters.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote