cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 02:19 AM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gospel Emergency!!!!

Alright mighty CG...

I just got a call from my bishop...(Thursday night: 9:45 PM) and apparently the speaker cancelled for this sunday with a family emergency, and I have been asked to fill in.

I know what you are thinking...didn't Drum just speak like 3 weeks ago...?

YES I DID!

So, my topic is King Herod's Temple, and more specifically, how it was used by Jesus Christ.

Basically, he wants me to speak about temple worship, and given the fact that I'm getting this assignment so late, he conceeded that the important thing about the talk is temple worship and its importance in our lives...and what it means to me etc...

If anyone can direct me to resources on Herod's temple (talks, articles, etc...) I would be very appreciative...VERY APPRECIATIVE.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
Alright mighty CG...

I just got a call from my bishop...(Thursday night: 9:45 PM) and apparently the speaker cancelled for this sunday with a family emergency, and I have been asked to fill in.

I know what you are thinking...didn't Drum just speak like 3 weeks ago...?

YES I DID!

So, my topic is King Herod's Temple, and more specifically, how it was used by Jesus Christ.

Basically, he wants me to speak about temple worship, and given the fact that I'm getting this assignment so late, he conceeded that the important thing about the talk is temple worship and its importance in our lives...and what it means to me etc...

If anyone can direct me to resources on Herod's temple (talks, articles, etc...) I would be very appreciative...VERY APPRECIATIVE.
Your bishop is a sadist.

http://www.bible-history.com/jewishtemple/
Old 08-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
No freakin' kidding. You call someone to talk two days before Sunday and a guy who gave a talk three weeks ago, you at least throw him a softball like speak on love or service or Atonement.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
I'm starting to catch on to this whole inactivity thing and the benefits thereof...

Thanks for the link...
Old 08-17-2007, 03:36 AM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

GospeLink 2001 has 125 entries for "herod" and "temple" within 5 words of each other. Do you want to give me additional terms to further filter the results? (The search can also be expanded to all of the terms appearing within 10 or 25 words of each other).

Last edited by ute4ever; 08-17-2007 at 03:38 AM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 AM   #6
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post

look in Jesus the Christ

The toughest I ever got was "Deception and anti-Christ in the Book of Mormon."
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #7
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Talk about how temples have almost become idols in our church. Pagan symbols that blind us to the real message contained within.

Talk about how obscene it may be that the church spends millions on temple construction and up keep, for a worship that can be and has been done in nature.

Talk about how Jesus wasn't here to erect a physical temple of stone, that we literally are the temples we scamper to build.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 AM   #8
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
GospeLink 2001 has 125 entries for "herod" and "temple" within 5 words of each other. Do you want to give me additional terms to further filter the results? (The search can also be expanded to all of the terms appearing within 10 or 25 words of each other).
See what happens when you add Jesus into the search
Old 08-17-2007, 03:56 AM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Talk about how temples have almost become idols in our church. Pagan symbols that blind us to the real message contained within.

Talk about how obscene it may be that the church spends millions on temple construction and up keep, for a worship that can be and has been done in nature.

Talk about how Jesus wasn't here to erect a physical temple of stone, that we literally are the temples we scamper to build.
You might be on to something here...if I don't want them to ask me to speak in another 3 weeks, I may just have to use this...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:08 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

Interesting points with a bit of validity; however, as I believe you pointed out, it's not what the temple looks like that matters. It's what happens inside the temple that matters.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote