cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #1
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SWK Lesson 14 "No Other Gods"

There was some discussion a few weeks ago on the "Thou shalt have no other Gods before me," lesson. I had the opportunity to teach this lesson yesterday and I am curious to know what approach was taken in your various wards & quorums if you happened to hear this lesson.

As I read through the lesson, I realized that it has the potential to go down a road that I didn't want to go down. I was upfront with the Elders in my quorum and I told them that I didn't think that the intention of the lesson was to brow beat church members into thinking that wanting nice things, or setting out certain acheivements as goals was a bad thing. But rather, I believe the lesson is about finding a balance in ones life and not putting those worldly things ahead of the lord.

We had some good discussion, and it was difficult to keep the discussion away from "don't do this, don't do that," but I feel that it is paramount that we discuss why we are being asked to sacrifice, and look at the patterns of other people over time and learn from their mistakes.

Anyway, just curious to know what you all thought of the lesson.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
There was some discussion a few weeks ago on the "Thou shalt have no other Gods before me," lesson. I had the opportunity to teach this lesson yesterday and I am curious to know what approach was taken in your various wards & quorums if you happened to hear this lesson.

As I read through the lesson, I realized that it has the potential to go down a road that I didn't want to go down. I was upfront with the Elders in my quorum and I told them that I didn't think that the intention of the lesson was to brow beat church members into thinking that wanting nice things, or setting out certain acheivements as goals was a bad thing. But rather, I believe the lesson is about finding a balance in ones life and not putting those worldly things ahead of the lord.

We had some good discussion, and it was difficult to keep the discussion away from "don't do this, don't do that," but I feel that it is paramount that we discuss why we are being asked to sacrifice, and look at the patterns of other people over time and learn from their mistakes.

Anyway, just curious to know what you all thought of the lesson.
I always thought it meant the Jews should not believe in Pharoahs Gods, the Arabs God, the Hindu's God, the Sun God etc. I guess at one point that became understood and not a problem. Therefor some enterprising person decided to have it mean money or cars or whatever.

I think the covet commandment takes care of the illicit desire for material things not the "no other God" commandment.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I always thought it meant the Jews should not believe in Pharoahs Gods, the Arabs God, the Hindu's God, the Sun God etc. I guess at one point that became understood and not a problem. Therefor some enterprising person decided to have it mean money or cars or whatever.

I think the covet commandment takes care of the illicit desire for material things not the "no other God" commandment.
We spoke about the initial meaning and its application to the people of the old testament...but we quickly moved into discussing how it applies in our day.

Now, certainly, some take every little thing and say it is a "false God," and obviously it isn't that bad, but I can certainly see people in our time worshipping a posession or a hobby.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:26 PM   #4
BYU71

Quote:
We spoke about the initial meaning and its application to the people of the old testament...but we quickly moved into discussing how it applies in our day.

Now, certainly, some take every little thing and say it is a "false God," and obviously it isn't that bad, but I can certainly see people in our time worshipping a posession or a hobby.
As with anything, it depends on the definition. Worship to me would mean "praying" to it. Asking it for comfort.

Too many people IMHO feel they can interpret the scriptures for others. Thus they come out with, you put your job ahead of God, you put sports ahead of God, etc.

Heck, I could even interpret it to mean some people put church structure ahead of God. I refer to those folks as mullahs.

It would make for interesting discussion in church though.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:44 PM   #5
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

Quote:
As with anything, it depends on the definition. Worship to me would mean "praying" to it. Asking it for comfort.

Too many people IMHO feel they can interpret the scriptures for others. Thus they come out with, you put your job ahead of God, you put sports ahead of God, etc.

Heck, I could even interpret it to mean some people put church structure ahead of God. I refer to those folks as mullahs.

It would make for interesting discussion in church though.
So, where would one draw the line then between worship and...whatever else people do with their posessions.

Here's an example that came up.

A few guys in the ward each purchase a boat for recreational use. This prevents each from various opportunities to serve because, if you buy a boat, you gotta use the boat.

Should there be a distinction between worshipping and simply making something a priority over a church related activity, meeting, or service opportunity?

As you note, it's a very interesting discussion, because it can take on many different forms.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:03 PM   #6
BYU71

[QUOTE=DrumNFeather;112327]So, where would one draw the line then between worship and...whatever else people do with their posessions.

A few guys in the ward each purchase a boat for recreational use. This prevents each from various opportunities to serve because, if you buy a boat, you gotta use the boat.

Should there be a distinction between worshipping and simply making something a priority over a church related activity, meeting, or service opportunity?

I guess my point is really, why do we have to draw a line. If a guy chose to use his boat, who am I to determine whether that is beneficial to his mental health, his family staying together, etc. We could stretch it to any extreme we wanted.

His boat caused him to drink, miss church, take out good looking chicks on the boat and commit adultery.

Quite frankly though I don't attend Priesthood meeting anymore so I probably am not a good one to talk about what goes on I find them to be quite irrelevant to me and stuff I have heard over and over again. Nothing new.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

[QUOTE=BYU71;112340]
Quote:
So, where would one draw the line then between worship and...whatever else people do with their posessions.

I guess my point is really, why do we have to draw a line. If a guy chose to use his boat, who am I to determine whether that is beneficial to his mental health, his family staying together, etc. We could stretch it to any extreme we wanted.

His boat caused him to drink, miss church, take out good looking chicks on the boat and commit adultery.

Quite frankly though I don't attend Priesthood meeting anymore so I probably am not a good one to talk about what goes on I find them to be quite irrelevant to me and stuff I have heard over and over again. Nothing new.
Nevertheless, I think you'd enjoy my class. We mix in a lot of humor into each lesson...and since I only teach once a month, you would only have to come once a month AND you'd still be considered active. It's a win/win all the way around.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
BYU71

[QUOTE=DrumNFeather;112423]
Quote:

Nevertheless, I think you'd enjoy my class. We mix in a lot of humor into each lesson...and since I only teach once a month, you would only have to come once a month AND you'd still be considered active. It's a win/win all the way around.
I am sure I would. They are probably a lot like CG.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #9
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

I hated the lesson because it turned into a bash people who have nice things session. I'm not rich myself, but some day I'd like a boat, maybe a nice sports car, etc. The people making those comments were generally older guys who weren't well off and not very successful in life. You could tell they were bitter.

I felt like making a comments to the effect of, "Yes, greed is a problem in the Church, but so is envy." However, since I'm in the EQP, I decided my comments should be a little more diplomatic.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote