cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Faust Pulled for Democrats

I'm not surprised in the least that President Faust continued to occasionaly do work behind the scenes for his party.

"Every once in a while, President Faust would quietly make calls, urging people to run, mostly to help the state have a healthy balance of political parties," said Taylor on Friday.

Mormon block voting is high on the list of activities that brought the Church trouble in Missouri, Illinois, and Utah. That some would suggest that "Church Authorities proclaim neutrality but they really want you to be and vote Republican" is perfectly amazing.

http://www.sltrib.com/lds/ci_6605032
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The $1,000,000 question is whether or not Faust voted for Clinton, Gore or Kerry.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:25 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The $1,000,000 question is whether or not Faust voted for Clinton, Gore or Kerry.
Yes, but the likelihood of ever being able to definitively answer that question is pretty slim.

The comments in that article suggest that it's quite possible that he did:

"I am a conservative on fiscal and property matters, and I am liberal in terms of human values and human rights," Faust told his biographer, James P. Bell. "I believe what it says in the Book of Mormon, that the Lord values all of his children equally - black and white, bond and free, male and female, Jew and gentile - and that the Lord likewise has compassion for the heathen."

I'd (wildly) guess that Clinton would be the most likely of the three to have gotten his vote, and Gore the least likely. Clinton was not the worst thing that ever happened to fiscal conservatives (he worked with them and compromised with them more often than not). Bush did not look nearly as appealing in '04 (even to conservatives--and fiscal conservatives were already a bit aghast at the spending), and the human rights abuses from the War were in the papers, making the '04 vote a real toss up (again, I'm just speculating wildly).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 08-13-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:04 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

To Tex, Indy, Colly Wolly and others of similar political persuasions: what does Faust mean when he says "I am liberal in terms of human values and human rights"?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not really sure. That's a pretty vague statement.

I believe that we are all children of God and that we all should love one another.

Does that make me a liberal?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I'm not really sure. That's a pretty vague statement.

I believe that we are all children of God and that we all should love one another.

Does that make me a liberal?
I had the impression from the article that this particular aspect of his belief pulled him to the political left.

I'm trying to understand what to make of it, and what others make of it.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I had the impression from the article that this particular aspect of his belief pulled him to the political left.

I'm trying to understand what to make of it, and what others make of it.
That is my impression as well. He did work on JFK's civil rights/racial unrest committee. Didn't he oversee South American operations for the Church in the mid-70s, the exact time when money was being raised for the Sao Paulo Temple? There might be a very interesting story there.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Who knows where members would be if Faust had thought it appropriate to rail about his political beliefs in GC like Benson did.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:27 PM   #9
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
To Tex, Indy, Colly Wolly and others of similar political persuasions: what does Faust mean when he says "I am liberal in terms of human values and human rights"?
I am a liberal in terms of human values and human rights, too.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Yes, but the likelihood of ever being able to definitively answer that question is pretty slim.

The comments in that article suggest that it's quite possible that he did:

"I am a conservative on fiscal and property matters, and I am liberal in terms of human values and human rights," Faust told his biographer, James P. Bell. "I believe what it says in the Book of Mormon, that the Lord values all of his children equally - black and white, bond and free, male and female, Jew and gentile - and that the Lord likewise has compassion for the heathen."

I'd (wildly) guess that Clinton would be the most likely of the three to have gotten his vote, and Gore the least likely. Clinton was not the worst thing that ever happened to fiscal conservatives (he worked with them and compromised with them more often than not). Bush did not look nearly as appealing in '04 (even to conservatives--and fiscal conservatives were already a bit aghast at the spending), and the human rights abuses from the War were in the papers, making the '04 vote a real toss up (again, I'm just speculating wildly).
I too am a liberal when it comes to human values and human rights.

To validate that claim, see my past stands on the BYU honor code.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote