cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is anybody here old enough to remember

when the limitation on what sort of music is played in Church was implemented. Something in the crevices of my mind makes me think the limitations were not always there.

Was it merely a response to the Rock Culture of the fifties, sixties and seventies, or did it precede that?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
when the limitation on what sort of music is played in Church was implemented. Something in the crevices of my mind makes me think the limitations were not always there.

Was it merely a response to the Rock Culture of the fifties, sixties and seventies, or did it precede that?
I didn't jump in the debate from Requiem's first post on this. Everyone said the bishop was wrong. And I agree, he was wrong in that he should have allowed it to go through after the counselor gave permission and they practiced. But someone said the policy of hymn book songs only in sacrament had been reversed and no one challenged it. Are you sure that was reversed? I'm still under the belief that hymn book songs only are allowed and know of some entanglements with my hardliner bishop recently over this issue.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Oh and speaking of church music, you guys haven't lived unless you have as a missionary district of four elders and two sisters in a small Korean branch of 30 avg attendance sacrament meeting, whistled (yes I said whistled) "In the Hollow of Thy Hand" as the sacrament music number. And we spent hours practicing that number and boy did I hate the sister missionary who came up with that genius idea by the end of it.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I am old enough to remember when a girlfriend and I were kicked out of a church dance for doing the "twist".
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

If I had to endure a steady stream of priestcraft-practicing self-aggrandizing selling-emotion-as-the-Spirit pretty boy/drama girl drivel every Sunday I don't think I could endure.
I'm not a big fan of that type of music, but dude, it's a four-minute song. Once a week. I think you'd be okay.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

On my mission I played guitar to accompany the hymns. I bought a $30 knockoff Chinese guitar on the main island, and man did that make me popular.

The hymn book actually had the chord name above the appropriate measure which made it pretty easy.

I also used the guitar for holding family home evenings. I did my own translation of "knockin on heaven's door" which was very popular.

If you can find some joy in music in the process of church, that's great, and I don't care what instrument it is.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:32 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I am old enough to remember when a girlfriend and I were kicked out of a church dance for doing the "twist".
LOL. Was it the vertical twist or the horizontal one?

And what were your inseams?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'm still under the belief that hymn book songs only are allowed and know of some entanglements with my hardliner bishop recently over this issue.
Our ward always has some EFY-type song for the musical number. Last week, after a group of Laurels sang some song that talks about this life, long roads, a plan, some tears, and Heavenly Father, the high-counsel speaker scrapped his talk to tell everybody how important that song has been to him in his life. I'd never heard it before.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
LOL. Was it the vertical twist or the horizontal one?

And what were your inseams?
I did the combination. Looking back, the girations done in the twist seem pretty harmless.

I didn't mind getting kicked out of the dance. She and I just waited in the back seat of my car until the dance was over and the people who were with us came out.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
But someone said the policy of hymn book songs only in sacrament had been reversed and no one challenged it. Are you sure that was reversed? I'm still under the belief that hymn book songs only are allowed and know of some entanglements with my hardliner bishop recently over this issue.
I have a hard time believing there is any "hymn book only" policy in force. We have non-hymn book musical numbers almost every week. And this has been the case for many years.