cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 03:09 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I wonder if this guy setback the church

in terms of increasing the amount of color among the Seventies.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6504464

I think if you look at the history of the church, general authority status was reserved for those men that knew the men who were already general authorities (what might be called a good ol boy network). You look at the era before David O. McKay and a critic might even go beyond good ol boy and call it nepotism.

It makes sense to only include those in your trusted circle. You know what you are getting.

Then 70 years after David O. McKay is called as an apostle, you take a few more chances and call this guy. And you get burned. And then the temptation may be to retreat, to be more careful, vet more carefully, etc.

He looks like hell btw. It's hard to imagine that picture being included in the centerfold of the GAs in the Ensign.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

I think if you look at the history of the church, general authority status was reserved for those men that knew the men who were already general authorities (what might be called a good ol boy network). You look at the era before David O. McKay and a critic might even go beyond good ol boy and call it nepotism.

It makes sense to only include those in your trusted circle. You know what you are getting.

Then 70 years after David O. McKay is called as an apostle, you take a few more chances and call this guy. And you get burned. And then the temptation may be to retreat, to be more careful, vet more carefully, etc.

He looks like hell btw. It's hard to imagine that picture being included in the centerfold of the GAs in the Ensign.
David O. McKay took the same chance that the BYU football program takes. You take a chance and have people in the organization who are not white, born and raised LDS and are RM's. Only difference is it is a much bigger issue when there is a problem at BYU with the football players.

When Lee was excommunicated I doubt anyone was calling for the doing away with the Seventies.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Good grief. I remember when Lee was excommunicated. What a crying shame.

I didn't realize he was called to the Seventy at such a young age.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:57 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It's a shame what happened and as become of him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:06 AM   #5
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

The story is this man's horribly tragic fall, his personal self-destruction, not what it did to the LDS Church. I wonder how much compassion he's received. He seems to be ill.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:18 AM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The story is this man's horribly tragic fall, his personal self-destruction, not what it did to the LDS Church. I wonder how much compassion he's received. He seems to be ill.
How much compassion does one normally give to child molesters? That's one crime that I have a very difficult time forgiving. When you throw in the high calling he held and apparently used to manipulate the young girl you hit rock bottom. I think most child molesters are ill, but I still have a VERY difficult time showing them any compassion.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:24 AM   #7
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
How much compassion does one normally give to child molesters? That's one crime that I have a very difficult time forgiving. When you throw in the high calling he held and apparently used to manipulate the young girl you hit rock bottom. I think most child molesters are ill, but I still have a VERY difficult time showing them any compassion.
It is a heinous crime, but my heart sinks for a man, who had risen out of the shackles which are thrust upon many Native Americans, to reach a position of trust and honor.

And I agree child molestation is a terrible, terrible thing. But I remember his enthusiastic talks, and wish he had not fallen. He does appear to have become very ill.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:35 AM   #8
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I agree. That's a tough one. Child molesters are a walking argument against God's existence in my opinion.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I agree. That's a tough one. Child molesters are a walking argument against God's existence in my opinion.
I put molesters who use religion to perpetrate their crimes in an even more heinous category. It's the ultimate betrayal.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:48 AM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Indeed.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote