cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fitness among Mormons

When I first moved into my ward in Dallas, I was struck by the appearance of my bishop. He was in his mid-30s or so, about 5'11" and remarkably tanned and fit. It was actually shocking.

And then I had to think to myself, why is it shocking to have a fit bishop (he did spring tri's and some bike riding)? What a sad commentary.

I love my current bishop, but he tips the scales at probably over 350. And he is not tall. It's hard for him to stand up. I wish he could/would lose weight, because physical stamina would make him that little more effective.

This is really a commentary on American society. But we should expect better from people who profess that it is important to treat our bodies as temples.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:39 AM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

The highest concentration I have ever seen of the morbidly obese was in Nauvoo, Ill. Even my wife, who gets mad at me for making fat jokes, admitted that there were a lot of really overweight people.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:49 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
The highest concentration I have ever seen of the morbidly obese was in Nauvoo, Ill. Even my wife, who gets mad at me for making fat jokes, admitted that there were a lot of really overweight people.
Maybe these are all temple missionaries, not in good enough health to be real missionaries, but able to do a 6 month stint at the Nauvoo temple. That would explain it, perhaps.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Americans are obese period. And most members you know are Americans.

Outside of the upper middle class, few people spend time eating right, exercising and watching health practices.

Lower middle class Mormons deote a lot of time to service, family and in some extent to community. They would, if so inclined exercise more. In wealthier wards, I notice more persons interested in fitness.

Of the LDS I exercise with, most are under thirty or right at thirty. These members have better health habits than those my age, who are an abomination.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:00 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

When I go to walmart, I rarely see a white person, much less someone who is middle class.

I'm often amused to see what people buy. It is frequently outrageous amounts of junk food and crap.

The poor eat #$@. No fruits, no vegetables.

It's like my asst. scoutmaster. He says he and his wife never cook. He eats ramen every day. How is he going to lose the manboobs if he eats crap and junk food continuously?

Rich folks shop at Central Market (an upscale version of Whole Foods). Tons of fresh fruits and vegetables, and all sorts of culinary stuff, 200 kinds of cheese etc. The rich generally eat healthier.

I'm continuously blown away by the people I meet who never cook. An asst. scoutmaster in another troop, quasi-LDS. He and his wife eat out for EVERY meal. He lost a lot of weight. But then he gained it all back. Why I asked. "Candy."

I was blown away. Candy. That is so pathetic it is actually funny.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:00 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

When I go to walmart, I rarely see a white person, much less someone who is middle class.

I'm often amused to see what people buy. It is frequently outrageous amounts of junk food and crap.

The poor eat #$@. No fruits, no vegetables.

It's like my asst. scoutmaster. He says he and his wife never cook. He eats ramen every day. How is he going to lose the manboobs if he eats crap and junk food continuously?

Rich folks shop at Central Market (an upscale version of Whole Foods). Tons of fresh fruits and vegetables, and all sorts of culinary stuff, 200 kinds of cheese etc. The rich generally eat healthier.

I'm continuously blown away by the people I meet who never cook. An asst. scoutmaster in another troop, quasi-LDS. He and his wife eat out for EVERY meal. He lost a lot of weight. But then he gained it all back. Why I asked. "Candy."

I was blown away. Candy. That is so pathetic it is actually funny.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Yeah. The trouble is that bad food is generally cheaper than good food. So, if you are poor, it is much easier and more economical to purchase bad food.
This is true. But it's not as bad as people seem to choose.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:14 AM   #8
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
This is true. But it's not as bad as people seem to choose.
It's also a function of time. Cost of food plus time to prepare. When mom and dad are each working 2 jobs ... it's easier to do the processed foods than take time to prepare a healthy meal.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
It's also a function of time. Cost of food plus time to prepare. When mom and dad are each working 2 jobs ... it's easier to do the processed foods than take time to prepare a healthy meal.
it might take a little more time ,but its incomparably nutritious and healthy ,not even consider the economical benefit it might have.so cooking is not really a long process as it seems if you have a schedule of buying ingredients and make them ready to cook.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:45 AM   #10
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Yeah. The trouble is that bad food is generally cheaper than good food. So, if you are poor, it is much easier and more economical to purchase bad food.
I have a co-worker who is very wealthy and gets really annoyed by this statement. It's not that he doesn't think it's true in some sense, but he says, it depends on what you eat and how dedicated you are to health. He's the kind of guy who puts his money where his mouth is and he announced that he was going to eat on $1.50/day for a month. I said "you mean $1.50/meal" and he said nope, per day. He did it and I was quite impressed. He went to Winco to the bargain bins and bought lots of beans, rice, oatmeal etc... He said he ate very well though the meals were simple. The veggies cost him the most but he stayed within his budget.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote