cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #31
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Now if it brings them closer to God so be it, I personally feel it borders on idol worshipping and blinds us to the real purpose of a temple, tabernacle, or sanctuary.
I actually sort of agree with this. Case in point: after the announcement was made that a temple would be put in the Daybreak development in South Jordan, I talked with a homeowner whose home I was appraising. The first question out of her mouth was how much having the temple that close would raise the value of their home.

She may or may not have gratitude to God for the blessing of having a temple within walking distance, but it struck me as odd that she would even ask how the presence of one would benefit her financially.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #32
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I spent about 4 hours preparing my talk on Saturday afternoon. The resources and some of the phrasing given me here are much appreciated, I used a lot of the stuff that was given to me here.

My wife also came through with book her dad has (she's in Utah at the moment) by Talmage entitled, "The House of The Lord."

Overall, I thought the whole thing went well. I did get a public apology from the pulpit from my bishop for having me speak twice in a 4 week time span...that was nice, but he took my intro! So I had to come up with something on the fly about getting demoted to youth speaker.

Anyways, thanks for all the help and suggestions and thread hijacks.