cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #21
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
It's pretty simple. The Church claims to be the only true church upon the face of the earth and the only Church with a direct pipeline to God. You honestly don't see how that might piss off religious people who aren't mormon?
Non-Sequitar, I like you but lets be honest here. You cannot possibly have grown up how you did and have had the LDS religion/culture impact you like it has and possibly stay objective about it given that you are no longer a believer. I would offer that I cannot likewise.

Your comment characterizes that. There are many religions that make the same claim as mormons, but there is not quite the same vendetta as there is against the LDS Church.

There are many other reasons other than just the typical response of antagonists like you offer or the pat, it is because the Church is true offered by believing mormons.

I think the growth and size of the LDS Church is part of it, it is a target to evangelical ilk because of its success. Additionally, is a behomouth organization. Most other religious organizations are not as codified and regulated like the LDS Church. Looser federations of religions that sharee little more than a name will never get the attention that a religion where the members in Atlanta believe the same dogma as the ones in Tokyo.

This much I will say, Leonard Arrington spent a lot of time in libraries and he commented that there were more volumes of articles, books, magazines and whatnot dedicated to Joseph Smith and Brigham Young than there was to George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. I have never tested the validity of his statement, but for a fringe religion that was predominately regionally local until the past 40 or so years, it does get a great deal of attention.

However, it is a rather bizarre story and the meteoric rise and the events associated with it are probably more interesting to non-religious folks than most other religions. I think what draws interest to mormons, and consequently criticisms, is that we just won't go away.

I hope you find your slut, even if El Jefe would not let me post that in my tagline.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:20 PM   #22
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
No, look at Islam's claims. Those claims don't piss me off, even though I would never consider them legitimate. It's marketing debates.
Muslims are feared and hated because there is the perceived belief that anyone who does not believe as they do is an infidel and not worthy of life. Jews are hated because they claim to be God's elect. Mormons are hated because they claim to be God's true Church. I'm not defending the hatred that some religions engender, I'm simply explaining it.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 PM   #23
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

My explanation (above) applies to people who once were devout Mormons. People outside the Church may dislike Mormons for a variety of reasons. But mostly they just ignore them and don't take them seriously. This is the case for most any intellectual (without Mormonism somewhere in his background) until a Mormon runs for president. The only ones who really do take them seriously regularly is Evangleicals. That New Republic article I cited some time ago discussed a theory for the reasons for this.

Here is the thread: http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...t=Evangelicals

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-09-2007 at 10:30 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:36 PM   #24
non sequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Non-Sequitar, I like you but lets be honest here. You cannot possibly have grown up how you did and have had the LDS religion/culture impact you like it has and possibly stay objective about it given that you are no longer a believer. I would offer that I cannot likewise.

Your comment characterizes that. There are many religions that make the same claim as mormons, but there is not quite the same vendetta as there is against the LDS Church.

There are many other reasons other than just the typical response of antagonists like you offer or the pat, it is because the Church is true offered by believing mormons.

I think the growth and size of the LDS Church is part of it, it is a target to evangelical ilk because of its success. Additionally, is a behomouth organization. Most other religious organizations are not as codified and regulated like the LDS Church. Looser federations of religions that sharee little more than a name will never get the attention that a religion where the members in Atlanta believe the same dogma as the ones in Tokyo.

This much I will say, Leonard Arrington spent a lot of time in libraries and he commented that there were more volumes of articles, books, magazines and whatnot dedicated to Joseph Smith and Brigham Young than there was to George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. I have never tested the validity of his statement, but for a fringe religion that was predominately regionally local until the past 40 or so years, it does get a great deal of attention.

However, it is a rather bizarre story and the meteoric rise and the events associated with it are probably more interesting to non-religious folks than most other religions. I think what draws interest to mormons, and consequently criticisms, is that we just won't go away.

I hope you find your slut, even if El Jefe would not let me post that in my tagline.
I over-simplified my point. Inherent in the claim that the Church is true, is the assumption that all of the claims made by Joseph Smith are true. This means that God and Jesus appeared to Joseph Smith. That angels appeared to Joseph Smith. That God instructed Joseph Smith to ammend the cannon of scripture that had existed for over 1,000 years. That ressurected apostles restored the true priesthood to Joseph Smith. These are bold claims. Add to that the fact that so many people accept those claims so readily and that the Church has grown the way it has, it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

I remember when I was a kid and Moonies were becoming all the rage. Moonies became a hot point of derision and ridicule, because they made wild claims and because they were growing in popularity. I think it's the same dynamic.

I think people think I am somehow defending people who bash Mormons. That is not the case. I'm just attempting to explain why a lot of that bashing occurs. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 01-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #25
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
I over-simplified my point. Inherent in the claim that the Church is true, is the assumption that all of the claims made by Joseph Smith are true. This means that God and Jesus appeared to Joseph Smith. That angels appeared to Joseph Smith. That God instructed Joseph Smith to ammend the cannon of scripture that had existed for over 1,000 years. That ressurected apostles restored the true priesthood to Joseph Smith. These are bold claims. Add to that the fact that so many people accept those claims so readily and that the Church has grown the way it has, it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

I remember when I was a kid and Moonies were becoming all the rage. Moonies became a hot point of derision and ridicule, because they made wild claims and because they were growing in popularity. I think it's the same dynamic.

I think people think I am somehow defending people who bash Mormons. That is not the case. I'm just attempting to explain why a lot of that bashing occurs. If I've offended anyone, I'm sorry.
No offense taken, it just sounded a strong.

In the end, we probably agree somewhat on the dynamics of how others are impacted by the LDS Church and its claim to having the monopoly of all truth.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #26
non sequitur

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. I did encounter a slut about a week ago, but she passed out before I could avail myself of her sluttiness. Actually, it's a pretty funny story, but might be a tad inappropriate for this forum (I would classify it as PG-13 story).
Old 01-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #27
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Muslims are feared and hated because there is the perceived belief that anyone who does not believe as they do is an infidel and not worthy of life. Jews are hated because they claim to be God's elect. Mormons are hated because they claim to be God's true Church. I'm not defending the hatred that some religions engender, I'm simply explaining it.
Muslims are hated due to fanatical bombings of innocent persons.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 PM   #28
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
You can leave the church, but can't leave it alone.
I think this goes both ways. It's fair to say that you can leave the church, but it won't leave you alone. My experience in my inactivity has been that people are very threatened by it. Almost every discussion I've had about my disbelief has started with a believer trying to convince me I'm wrong.

Last edited by BlueHair; 01-09-2007 at 10:54 PM.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:55 PM   #29
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Muslims are hated due to fanatical bombings of innocent persons.
I agree. There is a worldwide opinion amongst the developed world that Islam has yet to come out of its own dark ages.

When they do, some of their chicks are gonna be hot! Do you know what camel riding can do for a gals calves?

Bown bicha bown bown when 2775 gets here and on the satellite we get Baywatch Yemen Coast........
Old 01-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #30
non sequitur

Quote:
When they do, some of their chicks are gonna be hot! Do you know what camel riding can do for a gals calves?
I don't know about you, but I don't want to have to impress a woman who's been riding a camel for 20 years. How am I going to compete with that?