cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2008, 01:12 AM   #21
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Did you copy this verbatim from the DNC talking points, or is this just a summary?
They're not talking points. They're neologisms.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:27 AM   #22
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As I understand the race, Childers ran as a conservative, which would increase his appeal to Republican voters in a traditional Republican district. Obama will not be mimicking that strategy.

Thus, the choice to conflate the two was probably a bad campaign strategy.

Parenthetically, I should add that I don't necessarily think it bodes well for the R's this year. I just don't think it represents the catastrophe that you seem to think it does.
lol! I am sure that is what conservatives are saying. "See- we DID win! Good thing the liberal Republican went down in flames."
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #23
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
lol! I am sure that is what conservatives are saying. "See- we DID win! Good thing the liberal Republican went down in flames."
The conservative principles that traditionally define the Republican party won, meaning those ideals are still valued by voters. Unfortunately the party is not embodying those ideals at the moment.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:30 AM   #24
Cali Coug

Quote:
The conservative principles that traditionally define the Republican party won, meaning those ideals are still valued by voters. Unfortunately the party is not embodying those ideals at the moment.
lol! Good to know. I suppose that means the conservative principles that traditionally define the Republican party are preserving social security, opposing privatization of SS, expanding in-home government programs for senior citizens, expanding the scope of S-CHIP, and ensuring healthcare coverage for Mississippi citizens. Who knew Republicans were so liberal!

http://www.childersforcongress.com/tc_issues.html

Your butt talks more than your mouth.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:16 AM   #25
Tex

Quote:
lol! Good to know. I suppose that means the conservative principles that traditionally define the Republican party are preserving social security, opposing privatization of SS, expanding in-home government programs for senior citizens, expanding the scope of S-CHIP, and ensuring healthcare coverage for Mississippi citizens. Who knew Republicans were so liberal!

http://www.childersforcongress.com/tc_issues.html

Your butt talks more than your mouth.
I believe he's pro-life and pro-gun.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #26
Cali Coug

Quote:
I believe he's pro-life and pro-gun.
Ah. In other words, for you the entire conservative agenda is caring about life and guns. Odd, but so be it.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:28 AM   #27
Tex

Quote:
Ah. In other words, for you the entire conservative agenda is caring about life and guns. Odd, but so be it.
No. But those were two large issues in Mississippi on which he aligned himself with traditionally Republican values. There are no perfect conservative candidates, even among R's, so obviously he's not going to be conservative on everything.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 05-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The point is that democrats winning local elections in the south are the same on cultural/social issues as their Republican opponents. Theyare the same animal in that respect. A political consultant/expert on NPR explained this today. He said the dynamic will be very different when it's McCain vs. Obama. He said that it's going to come down to are there enough blacks to counterbalance the fact that whites will vote McCain in droves. He wasn't partisan. He's from Emery University.

I think McCain will win and then we'll all feel icky about how it happened. IF the dems were running a traditional southern democrat they'd kill McCain. But they won't be.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #29
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
No. But those were two large issues in Mississippi on which he aligned himself with traditionally Republican values. There are no perfect conservative candidates, even among R's, so obviously he's not going to be conservative on everything.
Southern republicans are not so far from Obama on economic issues. It's the social issues where they part vastly, and historically they vote on social issues, which is why Cali's argument is bullshit.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:36 AM   #30
Cali Coug

Quote:
You said this about Childers:

"The conservative principles that traditionally define the Republican party won, meaning those ideals are still valued by voters. Unfortunately the party is not embodying those ideals at the moment."

Now you are backtracking and saying that he was conservative on guns and life (what exactly is he going to do on either of those two issues in the US Congress, pray tell) which is enough to declare victory for conservative principles? What about the Republican who lost who held MORE conservative principles? Did that just represent conservatism not really trying, so it can't be chalked up as a loss?

You crack me up, Tex.